Windows Live Messenger on Mac

Reaction score
I am about to be a switcher very soon and I was wondering what program Mac users can use similar to Windows Live Messenger (MSN Messenger).

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Check out Adium

Welcome to the Forums!

Reaction score
the official MSN Messenger for Mac is really a piece of crap... it's like 5 years behind Live Messenger in terms of features. Adium doesn't offer all the features of Live Messenger, but for straight text messaging with no silliness like pokes and games, it's really good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
Even on Windows I try not to use the official client; it's too bloated (and with stupid things that no one older than 13 uses [no offense to 13 yr olds intended]).

The only downside to using Adium is it doesn't support video (or audio?) chats just yet... if that's your bag.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
the official MSN Messenger for Mac is really a piece of crap... it's like 5 years behind Live Messenger in terms of features

I like its simplicity. I only want a list of my contacts and the ability to have a text conversation with them. The Windows version is also full of ads and like most Windows programs, very cluttered. It also causes my Vista PC (soon to be ditched for the new iMac) to freeze for 45 seconds for no apparent reason every time it starts up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Even on Windows I try not to use the official client; it's too bloated (and with stupid things that no one older than 13 uses [no offense to 13 yr olds intended]).

The only downside to using Adium is it doesn't support video (or audio?) chats just yet... if that's your bag.

Hey...I got a friend that's 27 and uses messenger on xp. She gets mad when she sends the pokes and nudges and stuff and I can't get them since I'm running Adium...

well...I just secretly laugh of course...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I wonder how much aMSN supports of Live Messenger? All I know is it does do Video Chat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.2GHz 2gb RAM 15-inch Widescreen
hey, (i hate to jack your thread for a second) is there a windows alternative to msn? msn always crashes my comp...and i could care less for all that other useless stuff, i just need msn/live messanger.

Reaction score
i have used most of the messengers: msn for mac, mecury, adium, and now amsn.

if adium had webcam support it would be the best but as i find webcams crucial i use amsn which is nearly windows live messenger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
hey, (i hate to jack your thread for a second) is there a windows alternative to msn? msn always crashes my comp...and i could care less for all that other useless stuff, i just need msn/live messanger.

Trillian seems popular.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.0GHz C2D iMac, 2.5GB RAM || 2GHz C2D Macbook White, 2GB RAM || PowerMac G4 533MHz, 1GB RAM

Pidgin or Trillian are probably your best alternatives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM
is there any good client that supports video chat with the built in isight?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.16GHZ C2D,120 GB HDD 3GB Ram
amsn is the only mac msn client i know of wich supports webcam. its okay but doesnt allways work as it should. i have only on a few occasions been able to send my webcam to a contact on a windows pc. but give that a shot

amsn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
I find aMSN to be the best if that is the only client that you use. aMSN supports most things such as video chat, nudges and custom emoticons. Sure it is not as pretty as Adium and you can't use it will AOL or Yahoo but I think it is the best messenger for MSN on the Mac.

Adium does not support nudges, video chat or custom emoticons. A lot of my friends use custom emoticons so I find that pretty essential.

Reaction score
This was my solution :)
I found using the software package Parallels Desktop on my Mac and then switching over to XP best. It works just like a pc and I can video chat as well. I just down loaded the most recent pc Messenger whilst in xp. That's all I use it for. My wife chats with family in USA all the time and naturally insists on a video call. Parallels Desktop is your best solution until the problem with pc / mac video is solved.

Reaction score
try kooking at my thread...i asked the same question...considering msn and windws messsneger are the sane thing lol..the thread s called " i need help getting a mac"

btw i actually got the mac last night and tis amazing, deifntly get one, aMAC is sick

Reaction score
sorry to bring back an old thread but correct me if im wrong

last time i tried amsn and adium i believe they had a contacts limit on them
where as msn messager or live messager does not...?

Reaction score
and from what i can tell people who i have blocked have now been unblocked when using amsn?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.