Quick Review: Marware Protection Pack

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Update: Added a short Video Review on YouTube

I recently acquired a 15" MacBook Pro laptop. My sister-in-law has the original Core Duo version of this machine and I noticed that the palm rests have become blemished over time (scratches, discoloration from body oils, etc.). Also, they are a hard surface (aluminum I believe), unlike some of the newer PC laptops that have soft padding built into them. I decided to pick up the Protection Pack from Marware, which includes a wrist pad and a microfiber keyboard cloth (there is also a Protection Pack "Plus" available, which includes a sleeve). It came in a small box and looked very bent inside; I was worried that the creases and bubbles would ruin it but they smoothed out just fine.

Before applying, I would recommend getting a lint-free cloth or a paper towel and some rubbing alcohol to clean off the application area on the laptop before applying the wrist pad. That way the surface will be squeaky clean, which will promote improved adherence to the surface. Unfortunately Marware did not include any kind of towelette, like some other companies such as MacStyles does. Not a big deal though. The pad itself is fairly thin and is very easy for one person to apply by themselves. If you screw up, you can simply peel it off and reposition it. It is very easy to line up and is cut just perfectly to allow you to have a millimeter or two of leeway if you aren't perfectly accurate.

I LOVE how comfortable the wrist pad is now. I'm not saying it's like putting my hands on a pillow, but it is much more comfortable to type on. I believe the material is "soft PVC leather", according to the description; it kind of feels like a tiny and tougher version of microfiber. It also adds a tiny, tiny bit of friction so that your wrists are less likely to slip on the wrist area while typing, which I like. In short, I love it and would buy it purely for the comfort if that was it's only feature (but it also protects the wrist area!). The one downside is that you have to use a little more effort to latch the lid down on the laptop. I'm not saying it's hard, but when you close the lid you also have to push down on it, not just let it snap shut. It will latch perfectly with some slight pressure. The bonus, though, is that you can shut your lid fast and not worry about metal-on-metal damage because the metal from the lid is hitting the pad and not the metal on the wrist area. Again be sure to press firmly when you close the lid or else it will pop back up. Oh and there is a little hack you can do before applying the pad - cut some small triagles off the areas near the latch to allow the lid "nubs" to press against the laptop (this will make it easier to latch). I found this trick on Flickr; here is a link to the picture and description:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/command-tab/636011882/

As far as other downsides go, I can see it getting messy in the future. Fortunately it's a sticker so you can remove it and put a new one on; if the sticker residue is left behind just use some rubbing alcohol or something to get it off. The product description says it leaves no residue behind, however, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue. The bottom sticker reminds me of white duct tape, only not as tacky. I don't imagine it would leave too much gunk, if any, behind when/if you replace it. As far as price goes, I bought mine from Amazon.com for $17.95. Fairly pricey for a sticker and a microfiber pad, but I did just spend a fair chunk of change on the laptop so I'm willing to make some minor purchases like this one to ensure that my investment stays in good condition for the foreseeable future. Regarding the keyboard pad, it fits over the keyboard just fine; I'm guessing it's supposed to protect the screen from oils and debris left on the keyboard when you close the lid. I haven't had a problem with that yet, but since it doubles as a cleaning cloth for the lid I throw it on the laptop anyway. Here is a link the Marware Protection Pack on Amazon: (they are available in 13", 15" and 17" sizes as well as in black for the 13" black MacBook)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FH375I/?tag=macforums0e4-20

Conclusion: Highly recommended, worth the money - adds both protection and comfort, as well as a padded area for the screen to close on. Before applying, cut the pad as illustrated in the Flickr link above and clean off the wrist area with some rubbing alcohol and a lint-free cloth. Just remember to push down near the latch area when you close the lid so that it will catch correctly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4
I'm buying one tomorrow!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0ghz 3gb Ram C2D Black Macbook
I bought a protection pack for my black macbook about 2 months ago... While it is very comfortable, I feel that it has worn down rather fast. It also absorbs sweat so when i close my macbook it leaves perspiration marks on the plastic by the isight camera. I don't know if I would buy another, maybe i'll find a different company when this one wears out completely.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.