iMac, update brings only 20" and 24"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AMD 533 MHz, 312 mb RAM, 80 HDD. :(
Heya,

I've read quite a lot here and it is said on other websites that the update for the iMac will only bring an iMac sized 20" or 24",

Is there anyone who can serious say something about that, or should we just all wait till the 7th to see if this is really true?

I would be disappointed when they take out the 17" because:

1. the 2 versions from the 17" now, the one with the most stuff in it is good, and 17" ain't small at all! The one with not much in it just doesn't make sense, so they can kick that one out!​

2. The 20" is now a days €300,- more expensive than the best 17", and even €500,- more than the smallest 17", so I would say it's pretty unfair to kick out all the 17" because 17" is good, sure 24" is better but you pay double for it.​

So does anyone know what's up with the 17"?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
No one knows. Sit back and wait until it's released.

Reaction score
With notebooks reaching screen sizes of 17", I don't really see the need for a 17" imac. Just my opinion.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
To me it's not just the Screen size, it the higher cost and there would be no lower priced iMac. There are people who want OSX but don't have a lot of $$$.

Reaction score
I read somewhere that the new 20" will be cheaper. I don't imagine Apple will abandon its customers in the $1200 range. There is talk that they are going to kill the Mini, so maybe the iMac will be the mid-range and some other thing will become the entry level. With Mac market share increasing at record levels I would bet Apple is looking pretty hard at the market share you are worried about.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To me it's not just the Screen size, it the higher cost and there would be no lower priced iMac. There are people who want OSX but don't have a lot of $$$.

I read somewhere that the new 20" will be cheaper. I don't imagine Apple will abandon its customers in the $1200 range. There is talk that they are going to kill the Mini, so maybe the iMac will be the mid-range and some other thing will become the entry level. With Mac market share increasing at record levels I would bet Apple is looking pretty hard at the market share you are worried about.

Yes indeed,

IF they kick out the Mac Mini that would indeed mean that the iMac would be one of the first to buy (makes it sound less great to own but well :p ) and if they kick out the 17" which would be in my eyes just too stupid, they need to lower the price dramatic of the 20" otherwise they lose all the customers without the money,

we aren't all the rich and great ;)

In my eyes they could better bring out a Mac Mini idea but then included a screen etc. etc. but for the price of around €800, ( around $1050 ) or at least something near that, doesn't have to be the Mini, but at least something like that,

well they don't pay me to think about this so I will just wait, but wanted to share my thoughts about it a little bit ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.
I wouldn't mind seeing a mid-range tower ;D

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As long it comes with a nice price tag, I would not mind :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
Initial rumors did say that Apple was dropping the 17" iMac. But they where just rumors. Now some rumor sites have said that's wrong, and there will be a 17" iMac... but they're just rumors also.

A lot of people have been calling for a consumer priced Mac Tower (an iMac without the screen, and the upgradability of the Mac Pro... or a Mac "Medium" if you will).

I can see the appeal of this to some users, but I don't really see it happening. Jobs has said that he believes consumer computers should be "all-in-ones". If they did this I believe it would just be competing against the Mac Mini and the iMac, and that's not good for business.

If it where to happen I think we'd see the disappearance of the Mac Mini... but the whole point of that was it was so cool! It was made for the benefit of Windows users to get a taste of the light side; so they could see how different Apple was... this tiny box could replace that massive tower you had, and you'd have a better computer because of it.

If Apple replaced it with a full-size "PC Tower" I don't think it'd be any where near as much as an incentive for most users to switch. So if it's not being bought by switchers (if you're gonna get a Mac, are you gonna go for something that looks like your PC, or the iMac?!), then it's just going to divide sales between this Tower and the iMac (and again, you don't really want two competing products in your line up).

I'm not saying it wont happen, and I know it would sell; I just don't think it fits in with Apple's philosophies and I'm not sure it makes sense to introduce a product that could damage your existing products market potential.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your posts makes nice sense,

Let's hope the guys at Apple think the same that way ;) or at least a bit :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15,4" 2,2Ghz - Nvidia 8600GT - 2Gb Ram / iPhone 1st Gen 16gb
I agree with you Levi, indeed ur post makes nice sense.
And im hoping for a Mac Tower "Medium" and thats cuz i dont like the all-in-one idea for a computer that i want it all day open and without the option to upgrade my HD and stuff like that. I just think that MacPro is too much for me now even i do 3d and post production.
Just my thoughts :)

Reaction score
Educational institutions need the 17" due to the fact that they are cheaper. I would guess that apple know this so I recon they will either keep the 17" in one form or another OR gut out the 20" as much as possible to bring down the price and call it a 'special design' specifically for the various schools etc which use them. At least thats somewhere along the lines of what I have been reading.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac G3 450MHZ 512 RAM DVD
I'm one of the people looking to buy a 20, if its going to cost near the old 17s i'll be over the moon! I love new gadgets but hate spending money..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24inch iMac
I dont see what this "new" iMac could possibly do that my 24inch doesn't? Am I missing something? Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.