Using a HDTV as an external monitor?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook: 2.00Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD
Is this possible?

I own a macbook and I am planning on buying a 32" HDTV for when I move into a flat in September. Is there anyway I could use it as an external monitor with my macbook? Just for playing around with until September.

Here's the TV: http://tinyurl.com/2whoah

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Definitely. Just get yourself a mini-DVI to VGA adapter and it'll plug into the VGA port in that TV.

I have a 50" plasma with a VGA port and connecting it to a Macbook looks great. So you shouldn't have any problems :D

Reaction score
mACCBOOK TO HDTV NOT WORKING

I Bought A Dvi To Dvi Cable And Attached To My Hdtv. Did Everything In The Manual, And Signal Isn't Good. Worked On My Wifes Hp Laptop. Any One Having The Same Issue?
Thanks-

Reaction score
You may need a DVI to HDMI cable, depending on the tv. If the tv only has HDMI ports, and no DVI or VGA ports, then that is what I would recommend.

jeffbush2, maybe a bad cable? Or did you use the same cable with the HP? Could you explain further by what you meant by "signal isn't good". Is it not clear? Is the size bad?

Maybe you are running too high a resolution for the tv?

Reaction score
How can I hook my macbook up to an older TV to view photos, slideshows, etc. if it only has S-video and component inputs. Thanks.

Reaction score
there is also a mini-dvi to s-video/composite adapter. then u get an headphone-to-audio cable and stick that into the tv.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 5K iMac 4ghz 32gb 4gb Graphics - Late 2011 17" MacBook Pro 2.4ghz quad i7 16gb ram
Mini DVI to HDMI is the best way to go, buy it of ebay for $10 instead of $150 from a store.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.