Repaired Macbook Cursor Jumping

Reaction score
My Macbook died last week, just 3 weeks short of going out of warranty (I have since purchased Apple Care off Ebay for $150). Took it into the Apple Store in Cincinnati Tuesday at 4PM. The Genius said the logic board was bad and sent it off to the repair depot. To my great surprise, my 'Book was ready to pick up Thursday morning at 10:30AM with a new logic board and a new keyboard surround including the trackpad. They also found one of my 1GB sticks of aftermarket RAM was bad and replaced it with an OEM 256MB stick free of charge. I am overwhelmingly satisfied with the Apple Care service experience. If a laptop has to break, I can't think of a better outcome.

There is a little problem though. Sometimes when using the trackpad, the cursor jumps around the screen. It also move inconsistently at times. I seem to remember a similar problem when I first got the laptop but can't remember the solution. BTW I am using Side Track for scrolling, tapping and corner control.

Any ideas what I can do to remedy the situation. I really think it is a setting or software issue but that may be wishful thinking. I'll take it back for service if I have to but want to exhaust my options before doing so.

Let me know if you need any other information.

Thanks in advance for any help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
My Macbook died last week, just 3 weeks short of going out of warranty (I have since purchased Apple Care off Ebay for $150). Took it into the Apple Store in Cincinnati Tuesday at 4PM. The Genius said the logic board was bad and sent it off to the repair depot. To my great surprise, my 'Book was ready to pick up Thursday morning at 10:30AM with a new logic board and a new keyboard surround including the trackpad. They also found one of my 1GB sticks of aftermarket RAM was bad and replaced it with an OEM 256MB stick free of charge. I am overwhelmingly satisfied with the Apple Care service experience. If a laptop has to break, I can't think of a better outcome.

There is a little problem though. Sometimes when using the trackpad, the cursor jumps around the screen. It also move inconsistently at times. I seem to remember a similar problem when I first got the laptop but can't remember the solution. BTW I am using Side Track for scrolling, tapping and corner control.

Any ideas what I can do to remedy the situation. I really think it is a setting or software issue but that may be wishful thinking. I'll take it back for service if I have to but want to exhaust my options before doing so.

Let me know if you need any other information.

Thanks in advance for any help

Did they give you back the bad stick of memory? I am surprised they just took it out and replaced with a lesser one.

OP
K
Reaction score
Yeah...I got the other SODIMM back. I have to check with NewEgg to see what the warranty was. I bought it before I even got the laptop so if it was a 1 year guarantee it may be too late to get a replacement. It still might be worth a shot to send it back to the manufacturer even if it is out of warranty. I only paid $75 each for 2 sticks of GSkill memory so I took a chance to save a lot of cash over 2GB of Apple RAM.

Any idea how to check the SODIMM for faults to confirm it's bad?

I thought it was good of Apple to put another module in for free when it wasn't their part that failed even if it was probably a used piece.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.