Dual Display

A

agallant

Jost got my first apple last night a i-book 14". Can i use a external monitor and the laptop display at the same time? you know spread the desktop over 2 displays. My think pad could do it so i was just wondering if the i book could do it.

-AG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Last I heard the iBook does not natively support Screen Spanning.....I know powerbooks do but I think you need to get an extra program or screen hack to allow you to do spanning on iBooks. I am pretty sure that the member here Graeme43 has used

http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html

I think that is the program there

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
On a Powerbook, you can just plug in an DVI flat panel and the System Preferences will show the second display after a quick restart. Afterwards your given the options to Mirror the desktop or span it, you can also move or adjust it's position... top, right, left or bottom. Not sure what the mac res is, I'm running 1680 by 1050. Works fine.

Video mirroring supports VGA video out to an external display or projector (requires included Apple VGA Video Adapter) and S-video and composite video out to a TV or VCR (requires optional Apple Video Adapter, sold separately).

Source: http://www.apple.com/ibook/specs.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Yup, he sure does

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
The video card itself does support dual displays, but for some reason it appears Apple disabled the feature. I've used the applescript from macparts.de with success, although not for an extended period of time. I have a friend who says that the workaround stuffed up his computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1GHz ibook, 20 gig 4G ipod
I have a G4 iBook (12") and the spanning hack works fine for me. I use my 21" CRT as a second display @ 1600 x 1200. Works really well. When using the CRT I set that as the main display and the iBooks TFT as the 2nd display.

ibook2.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Pritsey the board changed the rules a few weeks ago....We no longer allow hyperlinked images (even if they are from your own server since we cant tell if it is your own server really). You can upload your image to the forums server to display it

OP
L

likewings

I like what you have done there pritsey.

What do i like more? The fact you're watching peter kay. textbook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.