help please :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz,13'' macbook white, 20" iMac, 16GB iPhone 3G white.
Hey we just got a new Imac for my bro and i transfered all my music and videos from my external hard drive into my account on the computer... after doing so i realized that it would be easier to place my itunes folder in the library so that all the users could access it.. unfortunately afterdragging and dropping the folder i found out that i have now used up 40 gb of my hard drive.... now my music is only about 16gb and after moving it i added movies about 8 gb.... which leads me to believe that i have 16 gb of music hiding somewhere in my computer.... this is a total waste of space and its not in the original folder and there are no dupilcates in the library.... any help please ???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
There are certain portions of the library folder (I believe) that aren't searched or cataloged by spotlight, so if you're searching for the offending files that way, they won't show up. The best place to put music/video files that you want to share is in the Shared folder of the administrator account for the computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
Is that 40GB including the OS, iLife, Applications and Documents, or just what you've added (music & video)?

If it's 40GB total, then that's normal.

OP
iscameron
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the suggestion but since i already doubled my usage when i moved it the first time i dont think i want to try moving it again... plus i made all the accounts admins so that when my bro and mom wanted to d/l something or somehting liek that i didnt have to come and ok it ...

OP
iscameron
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
and are you sure that 40 gb is normal? i definately did not have that much taken up on my macbook 80gb.... cause that wouldve been half my hardrive.... what i think happened was when i first uploaded my music only which was about 16gb i then moved it to the library (which is when i think it doubled) so that would have been 32 gb.... and then i uploaded my movies 8 gb before i realized what happened... thus taking up 40 gb.... not good...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
did you make sure the contents are no longer in their original location on the drive?

OP
iscameron
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yup... is there any way i can just convert the computer back to factory ? i dont have much on here and what i need i have on my hd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Is it in the trash?

OP
iscameron
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nope all trashes are empty on all users

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
yeah, just use the factory cd or dvd to revert back, just make sure you save anything from the hard drive first.

OP
iscameron
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
by anything do you just mean like personal files or do you mean like apps. and stuff cause i JUST got it and it doesnt have many files on it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte, Macbook Pro 2.2 gHz, 2 GB Ram, 120GB HDD
Oddly enough, the OS and standard programs that come with take up ALOT of space. Much more than XP. That's the sacrifice for OS X though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.