Debian to Mac?

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I haven't been around computers that long, maybe 5 years at the most (started late in life), but have gotten fed up with Windows fairly quickly. I decided to try my hand at Debian and throughly enjoy the OS (stable version). Can anyone tell me the differences I'd encounter upon switching? I really like the idea of a free OS, but wouldn't mind paying for a Mac if it were just as reliable. I don't do any gaming, just forums and research.

Good to meet all of you,

Garrett:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
my operating system life went from windows to os x to ubuntu to windows and back to osx in a few weeks.

os x has a lot of great perks over linux because in general it 'just works' and you got ilife and expose and stuff but the only thing i'd say the linux world has over os x is its vast library of open source software which can be downloaded super easy through sourceforge, apt-get, and whatever installer/searcher debian(in your case) uses.

there is never any bothering with sudo and bash and all that crap when you are using os x

i personally still prefer os x over linux any day.

and too me it sounds like a mac mini or an imac would suite you quite well for what you do on y our computer
-chris

OP
G
Reaction score
my operating system life went from windows to os x to ubuntu to windows and back to osx in a few weeks.

os x has a lot of great perks over linux because in general it 'just works' and you got ilife and expose and stuff but the only thing i'd say the linux world has over os x is its vast library of open source software which can be downloaded super easy through sourceforge, apt-get, and whatever installer/searcher debian(in your case) uses.

there is never any bothering with sudo and bash and all that crap when you are using os x

i personally still prefer os x over linux any day.

and too me it sounds like a mac mini or an imac would suite you quite well for what you do on y our computer
-chris

Thanks for the info. chris. I was pretty desperate to jump from Windows into Linux without any background in the system. I learned a lot though through trial and error. After a few installs and fooling around with apt-get, I figured out a way to get it to install basic packages without interacting with apt-get (I never could get it right). It would always kick me into a bootloader and no desktop, but finally figured it out. I couldn't even tell you how I did it now. :(

How much are the Mac Mini's and Imac's running these days?

Thanks for your help,

Garrett

Reaction score
I did the Windows/Linux route and then switched over to OSX. I liked Linux a lot (used lots of different flavors) but to me OSX is just the "perfect" system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I did the same thing - Windows -> Linux -> Mac OS X. I wrote a switcher's guide oriented to Linux switchers. Check it out at:

http://www.campbell-tx.net/MacOSX/Linux2Mac/linux2mac.html

You *may* find it useful.

AND remember, Mac OS X is based on FreeBSD, so you can run most of your Linux favorite apps on OS X, via things like DarwinPorts. I do this, running almost all of my favorite apps, such as gnumeric, xv, feh, and so on.

OP
G
Reaction score
I did the same thing - Windows -> Linux -> Mac OS X. I wrote a switcher's guide oriented to Linux switchers. Check it out at:

http://www.campbell-tx.net/MacOSX/Linux2Mac/linux2mac.html

You *may* find it useful.

AND remember, Mac OS X is based on FreeBSD, so you can run most of your Linux favorite apps on OS X, via things like DarwinPorts. I do this, running almost all of my favorite apps, such as gnumeric, xv, feh, and so on.

mac57, that's a great guide, thanks a lot!!!

Garrett

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.