Swapping Hard drives on g4 Imac

P

part2

I have 2 g4 Imacs and would like to swap the hard drives around. I'm giving one to my son. I want the larger screen and hard drive see.

Is this possible and easy enough to do?

Any advice anyone?

One of them must have been swapped previously as it only has a 20gb on it.

OP
C

Chamorro

part2 said:
Is this possible and easy enough to do?

Possible? Yes.
Easy? Depends. You need to be comfortable opening up your iMac, making sure to discharge any static (by touching the power supply or other bare metal, or using a grounding strap), and undoing a few little screws.
I don't have any instructions on how to disassemble the G4 iMac, but if you can find those, once you crack the case it's just another computer.

OP
P

part2

Thanks

I think I can manage the practical removing and swapping part.

Is it just a straight forward swap, no tech stuff I need to know?

Both running OSX Panther.

OP
C

Chamorro

part2 said:
Is it just a straight forward swap, no tech stuff I need to know?

Do you mean installing drivers, etc. to get the "new" HD to work? No, you don't need to do that. Just make sure that the jumpers on the new HD are set the same as your old HD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
If you want the official engineers manual for your iMac G4, then PM me with your email address and i'll be glad to send it to you.

(in PDF format)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.