Display on new MacBook looks horrible! Do I need a repair/replacement?

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I recently gave my black MacBook Core Duo to my fiancee and bought myself a new MacBook Core 2 Duo.

The display on this new machine looks pretty horrendous. Colors are TOTALLY inaccurate, everything looks overly washed out, and text looks fuzzy. I tried calibrating it with my Pantone Huey, and it still looks like gargabe. I ran the same calibration on her (my old) MacBook, and on my external display, and they both look great.

Do you think I need to either call Apple or go to an Apple store for a repair or replacement?

Bummed and disappointed,
Dave :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
My Macbook's screen looks gorgeous, but relatively identical to the Core Duo models. So if yours is significantly different, then get it checked out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
I agree with Kash. My MacBook screen is Kickin' colors just look simply Vibrant. I'd take it to the Apple store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Hi everyone.

I recently gave my black MacBook Core Duo to my fiancee and bought myself a new MacBook Core 2 Duo.

The display on this new machine looks pretty horrendous. Colors are TOTALLY inaccurate, everything looks overly washed out, and text looks fuzzy. I tried calibrating it with my Pantone Huey, and it still looks like gargabe. I ran the same calibration on her (my old) MacBook, and on my external display, and they both look great.

Do you think I need to either call Apple or go to an Apple store for a repair or replacement?

Bummed and disappointed,
Dave :(

Try taking a screen shot and posting it here...if it's the LCD it'll look fine to us....if it's something else like the color options, it should look different...

Reaction score
go take it in if it's within the 14 days, compare yours to a good one...if there's a big difference then ask them to swap it out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
Some people have said that the LCD panels in the new MacBooks are awful (like the very worst LCD panels in any laptop ever). It could just be a bad batch or something because the ones I looked at seemed OK (although, I don't have such a great eye for these things; but my dad who's been a graphic designer since 16 thought they looked fine too).

I'd definitely check it against some others and see if it's dramatically worse; then get a replacement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
go take it in if it's within the 14 days, compare yours to a good one...if there's a big difference then ask them to swap it out

That's actually a great idea. Comparing it in store would be the best way to gauge whether there's anything wrong with yours.

OP
D
Reaction score
I will take it to the Apple store this weekend and compare.

Here's a little twist though, guys. I bought mine refurbished from the Apple store online. So the Apple store wouldn't swap out for a new one, would they?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will take it to the Apple store this weekend and compare.

Here's a little twist though, guys. I bought mine refurbished from the Apple store online. So the Apple store wouldn't swap out for a new one, would they?

I can't say for sure, but I think they would. You get the same warranty as a new product, and since the refurbished products are all "one offs", I'd say it would be unreasonable for them to expect you to just go home and wait for the same model to turn up again (or for yours to be repaired). If you bought a faulty product then you deserve to be given one that works.

OP
D
Reaction score
Ok next question. I upgraded the RAM in my machine to 2GB with aftermarket memory. The 1GB that came stock is now in my fiancee's MB. If they were to swap out my MB for a new one, would I be able to put the 2GB from my current one into the new one and just let them put the 1GB from the new one into the one I currently have? Sorry if that's confusing. . I didn't know how to word it any better. . haha

Also, if they were to do a swap in-store, would they run the migration assistant for me so I wouldn't lose any files, or would they possibly let me just pop my hard drive in the new one?

Thanks everyone!
Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry dude, I think you're being too specific; best wait and talk to the Genius. I'm sure they won't screw you, and will be happy to help with transferring your data and RAM.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.