HELP! MAC MINI SuperDrive problems

xfm

Reaction score
Recently, MAC Mini (Power PC) Matsushita UJ-845 Superdrive doesn't recognize blank DVD media (from same 100-pack spindle previously used with no problem). Drive spins, reads and then seems to go into a rhythmic oscillation. After a short time, I get this message:

"The drive reported an error:

Sense Key = ILLEGAL REQUEST
Sense Code = 0x64

ILLEGAL MODE FOR THIS TRACK"

If I keep trying to get the blank disc read, I get another message:

"Interface Error: -16434

The connection is not stable"

Has anyone else experienced this? I've done forum searches on some of the key words and error codes above with no luck.

I get this error when trying to burn a VIDEO_TS file to DVD using Toast 7, but it really seems to be more of a hardware-related issue.

Anyone got any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I was thinking the dvd rom drive's connection to the rest of the computer has come slightly loose. That was my initial thought. But maybe a system and permissions repair might fix the problem right up.

And maybe the drive doesn't like that brand of discs. I know one particular brand gives me kernal panics but now I use another with no problems what so ever.

I dunno. I'm just throwing up ideas here. Better than nothing I say.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.