Hello, I'm new with a question

Reaction score
I have an old G4 that I'm trying to sell. Well this computer has the programs FreeHand and FlexiSign on it that I used for business (the computer was given to me by the business). In order to sell it, I'd like to remove those programs and whatever else I need to do to restore it to factory settings. Can someone please help and tell me how I go about doing this? I'm under the impression that I need software but I don't want to have to pay for it. There's a disk eraser on versiontracker.com but it's $19.95. Should I sell the computer as-is? I've reset Safari and deleted my bookmarks in there. I've also put all my files in the trash and emptied the trash. Is this good enough? The only thing I'm concerned about is iChat...I don't want them to have my setting or name on there when I give it to them. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

OP
L
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that this computer has system 9 AND 10 on it (9 is used only for FlexiSign)

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, LoveMyMacBook.

Quite honestly? I'd reformat, better yet, zero all the data on the hard drive and reinstall the OS and bundled software only. You never know which personal information is floating around in a computer till it falls in the wrong hands.

Plus if you leave some paid software on it but don't include in the deal the install disks, you are participating in illegal software sharing.

OP
L
Reaction score
Ok. When it comes to technical issues, I'm stupid. How do I 'reformat' or zero out all the data?? My problem is that I have NO install disks (although I could maybe get them from my dad who gave me the computer). So how can I reinstall OS and bundled software with no CD's on hand at the moment? I need to sell my computer like today :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
You NEED the install disks to re-install the OS...

OP
L
Reaction score
I guess I can't download the software? If I have to have the CD's, I'll try to get them from my dad who is insanely busy. Thanks for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.