Deciding to buy..

Reaction score
Hey guys I've been using a pc my whole life and Microsoft. However, my pc is outdated and I'm really annoyed with the quality of microsoft. I've been looking into macs and have only heard good things. I'm a college student and my course needs a few PC Applications like MS Office (Including Access). I'm really excited and oddly comfortable with the idea of purchasing a mac despite the fact i dont like the feel of their OS and they dont have MS Access.

My question is for all those who have used a pc and switched to mac, how they feel about it in regards to my situation?

I'd be using it for MSN Messenger, downloading/listening to music, internet and homework.

And is this Parallel drive system any good? Honest opinions please :D.

Thanks guys!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It sounds like the only deficiency for you would be Access, but that's easy enough to workaround using Parallels or Boot Camp.

For the things you mainly do with your computer (and I'm referring to MSN Messenger, downloading/listening to music, internet and homework) you should be fine with a Mac. It WILL take some getting used to, but it's well worth it IMO.

Parallels is virtualization software that allows you to run Windows within a window on your Intel Mac. It works very well for most things, except playing games (although the latest version has some limited support for 3D games).

If you're not too big on change, don't like to have to learn something new, then stick with a Windows machine. If, on the other hand, you are tired of running anti-virus products, searching for and removing spyware, doing regular maintenance, etc, the Mac is a very good choice. It's not for everyone though, and be wary of anyone who tells you otherwise.

Personally, I love OS X. I wouldn't run any other operating system for doing my most common computing tasks. But it might be a good idea to get a feel for it before you jump in with both feet. A visit to an Apple store sounds like it might be a good idea for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook/13.3"/2.16GHz Intel C2D/1GB RAM/120GB HD/Ipod 20 Gig
I switched to MAC last year and I wont ever return to PC (well except for work...EVERYDAY :( ) But once you make the change you will notice your MAC is faster and more efficient.

Do it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I switched to MAC last year and I wont ever return to PC (well except for work...EVERYDAY :( ) But once you make the change you will notice your MAC is faster and more efficient.

Do it.

You switched to one of the two sub-layers of the second layer of the OSI model? Seems like you would miss the other 6.5 layers?!?! ;D

OP
J
Reaction score
great responses guys. Yes I'm very tired of windows lately, specially with their release of vista. I wish they wouldnt keep coming out with new platforms and rather just directly improve the original or the best version.

I'm going to the Apple store either this weekend or next week and consulting with a "MAC Genius" there as well as trying out a bunch of them. I use to use MAC's for Final Cut Pro and IMovie, but I'm not into that anymore. They were always reliable.

I think the biggest benefit, IMO, is that mac is the sole dealer and manufacturer of mac's where as PC's are built by so many companies and not perfected by any of them. Each of those companies are re encountering the same problems over and over again. Improvements are made at the pace of a snail.

Thanks for the prompt responses guys! Thats a point in my books for macs :D.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My comment above refers to the misuse of the term "MAC". MAC stands for Machine Access Control and is used in networking circles to describe a part of networking protocols. Mac, is generally used as shorthand for Macintosh. I don't mean to get too picky here, but I know a lot of people on this forum get aggravated by the misuse of the term.

OP
J
Reaction score
oops i accidentally made a new post haha.. but my question was for in here.. what is the reason for MS Access not being able to run on MAC? Whats the difference between parallel drives and bootcamp? As well as, can i install WIN98SE on it instead of a new op system?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oops i accidentally made a new post haha.. but my question was for in here.. what is the reason for MS Access not being able to run on MAC? Whats the difference between parallel drives and bootcamp? As well as, can i install WIN98SE on it instead of a new op system?

Microsoft simply didn't make a version of Access for the Mac, "why" is anyone's guess.

Boot Camp allows you to install Windows XP or Vista on a separate, second partition and run it natively. You can choose to either boot into Mac OS X or Windows, but not have both running at the same time. Boot Camp only supports Vista and XP. The advantage is, your Mac behaves just like a PC because Windows is actually taking full advantage of all your hardware, including your video card. The primary benefit over Parallels is that you can play just about any 3D video game that your video card supports.

Parallels Desktop for Mac is virtualization software. It creates a "virtual machine" within a window on your existing Mac OS X session. You can install a variety of different operating systems, including older versions of Windows. Since it runs side-by-side with OS X, you can interact with both systems simultaneously, moving data between both desktops. Parallels also offers full-screen and "Coherence" modes. In the latter, the Windows desktop disappears and only the Windows applications you have running will be visible, including icons within the Mac OS X dock. This integrates the two OSes together, so that it appears that your Windows applications are running on your Mac. That's just a brief synopsis of what Parallels can do - there's a lot more functionality there that I just can't get into. You can read about it at Parallels.com. The only downside is that while you can play some games, not everything will run because the video subsystem runs in an emulated fashion and the video card's full capabilities are not realized.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.16GHZ, 1G mem, 120HD
first off im also a college student. I love my mac so far (even got a video ipod for only $50 what a deal). And I did put Microsoft office on it, works better on the mac actually, for me at least.

And I dont have a single regret buying a mac. I got my laptop the same time my friend got some toshiba, he allready had to pay geeks squad or firedog (the best buy support) to install vista for him and now its being serviced for the hd frying or something.

Reaction score
Wow, this topic is exactly me. I made an account to ask this question. I'm in the EXACT same boat as you. Even University, PC for life, might switch to Mac. I'm thinking of the Macbook.

Which Macbook are you looking at? I'm looking at the 2nd up, White Model.

I'm not sure if I should upgrade to 2GB of RAM. $210.. isn't that expensive for 1GB more of RAM?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Well, I'm a college student as well. I switched over last November. I only had very little experiences with a mac. It's so easy to use and Apple has a lot of info on their website to help you understand the OS. I would recommend doing research while you decide to get a mac, it helps a lot. I'm very happy with my decision and I'll never look back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" Macbook: 2.16ghz / 1gb ram / 120gb HD
Wow, this topic is exactly me. I made an account to ask this question. I'm in the EXACT same boat as you. Even University, PC for life, might switch to Mac. I'm thinking of the Macbook.

I'm not sure if I should upgrade to 2GB of RAM. $210.. isn't that expensive for 1GB more of RAM?

Yes that is crazy expensive for ram. Just get the 1gb version and get the 2gb ram from newegg.com for around $90. :D

OP
J
Reaction score
man, you guys know ur stuff. thanks for that explanation CWA.

Mike, I have no idea which model I'm gonna buy. I have my exams this coming week and then I'm gonna head down to the Apple store and spend alot of time there and get more accquainted with the OS and the options.

Thanks again guys. Really helpful :D.

I'll let u know how it goes next week at the store!

Reaction score
Im a new mac user, when I was in college it was when the imacs had just first came out, my wife (girlfriend at the time) had one and I hated it. If you asked me a year ago if I would ever own a mac I'd have proudly answered "nope" Sitting in my house right now I've got three windows machines and two linux machines. My views on macs had been changing over the last few months and when my graphics rig (I do photography) crapped out on me I caved in and ordered a refurb mac from apple. I've had it three weeks and havn't touched my other machines since. If your in any way tech savy I wouldnt worry about getting used to the OS, I was comfortable with it within a week and now loath using my XP machine at work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4AlumBook, 4g iphone, 64wifi iPad, Atv2, Ipod classic

definitely is more expenisive. crucial is the best place to upgrade, and this does NOT void your warranty! upgrading the RAM yourself leaves the warranty untouched, although the Mac "genius" said that if there is a problem they will tell you to replace this with the original RAM.

hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.