Wireless internet options?

B

BzY

just curious what kind of options I/we have for wireless internet with Ibook g4's?

Is my ibook g4 airport ready? airport or airport extreme?
is airport our only options for cards?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Your iBook is Airport Extreme ready (Will not work with regular Airport Card)

There are a few other options but they are all external and don't work as well as the Airport Extreme

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
The iBook 12" and middle 14" models will take AirPort Extreme cards. The high end 14" has AirPort built in.
AirPort is pretty much your only option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
"is airport our only options for cards?"

Yep it is, but apart from the price, airport is the same as other wifi options...

you can get external usb airport adapters, but these seem very unpractical for on the go...

OP
H

HowCreativeInc

Are there other alternatives to purchasing the Airport Extreme Base Station? I have an iBook with an Airport Extreme card installed. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook
HowCreativeInc said:
Are there other alternatives to purchasing the Airport Extreme Base Station? I have an iBook with an Airport Extreme card installed. Thanks.

You can buy any Wi-Fi certified base station. Linksys, Belken and tons of other brands are out there. For ease of setup and use, you can't beat the Airport though.

Jerry

OP
T

tariq

I bought a Linksys wireless router to replace my wired D-Link unit and setup took less than 15min. I was quite disappointed the setup was so quick and easy since I like tinkering with things, maybe next time... :D

OP
H

HowCreativeInc

The Base Station has a USB port for printers. Do any of the other options mentioned allow for wireless printing, or will that entail an additional router?

OP
L

lsuperguy

If you don't need a base station right away, you could order an Airport Express...it will support 10 wireless comptuers and has a USB port for printers...oh and of course it has airtunes.

OP
B

biggyfries

Hello all. I am a new Mac owner. I recently got a g3/900 14' ibook. i saw this thread, and was wondering if i need the airport extreme card or if i could use the regular airport card. Its not a g4, so do i still need the extreme? i read the manual on the apple site, but that is only for the g4 model.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!!

dan

Absolute Zero said:
The iBook 12" and middle 14" models will take AirPort Extreme cards. The high end 14" has AirPort built in.
AirPort is pretty much your only option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
biggyfries said:
Hello all. I am a new Mac owner. I recently got a g3/900 14' ibook. i saw this thread, and was wondering if i need the airport extreme card or if i could use the regular airport card. Its not a g4, so do i still need the extreme? i read the manual on the apple site, but that is only for the g4 model.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!!

dan

Great choice! I have the exact same model. This machine requires a standard AirPort card, not the Extreme version.

OP
B

biggyfries

Padawan said:
Great choice! I have the exact same model. This machine requires a standard AirPort card, not the Extreme version.

thanks for the help. i am really happy with my purchase. only problem so far, is that i can see my hm ntwrk, but cannot connect to it. i set up sttic, reset the router back to defaults, but nothing. i didnt know if it was the card or not. but, since you put that theory to rest (thank you!!), i will now play around wiht the network some more.

as a side comment: i really like this forum. everyone seems really nice and helpful. thanks to all of those who answer our newbie questions. I have had some questions regarding the hardware and OS (im a win-to-linux switcherin the past year, with a new mac), and just looking thru this site and some ohter forums, i have found most of my questions answered (looking thru the Apple site did not do good for results :(. )

anyway, thanks!!

dan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.