• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Sony DCR-DVD408 video camera w/ Macbook

Reaction score
I have a MacBook, and I just got a Sony DCR-DVD408 as a gift. I took a few discs worth of video and found out its not going to be as easy as I thought to work with...

Ideally, I'd like to get it onto my mac, edit it in iMovie, then put it back onto the miniDVD for finalizing (with the camera).

I have not yet finalized any of the discs on the camera. First I tried simply connecting the camera with the supplied USB2.0 and found this wouldnt work. The camera doesnt have a firewire port... The only option I was able to think of would be to simply finalize the disc, then buy an external dvd burner that accepts miniDVD to get the files onto the computer. I'd hate to have to actually go through that...

I saw some previous posts about free software that can work with the USB to get the camera to communicate with the computer, and get the files over. Anyone know anything about this? if so, should the discs be finalized first?
once editted, can this same software put files back on the disc to be finalized? also, what type of discs should i be using? i am a bit new to all this, and dont really understand the difference between dvd-r, dvd-rw, dvd+rw, etc...

thanks for reading!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.5GHz
I have a Sony 308. I finalize the disc (DVD+RW) and then encode the videos using Handbrake but you can also use Streamclip. Both are free but I believe you need to purchase an Apple plug-in for Streamclip for DV encoding. There's more info available about this on these forums. I then take the encoded videos and bring them into iMovie and finally port it to iDVD for burning on to a standard dvd.

As for what the different dvd formats are...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-R
The other format definitions are listed to the right of that page.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
can you help me help myself?

hi,
i read the previous post and your response. i have the exact same scenario with the mac and dcr-dvd408. what is the handbrake software you speak of and how might i encode the videos. i really appreciate it.
thanks in advance,
nia

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.