Want the good news or the bad news?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Good news: Microsoft are updating their OSX Remote Desktop Client for Windows.

Bad news: It only mentions Vista so far.

I make use of RDC sometimes, so a new, faster and better client would be great. But if they turn it into a way of selling a few extra copies of Vista then I'll stick with the old one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Thanks for the heads-up! What link did you have? Here's one I found:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downlo...download/MISC/RDC2.0_Public_Beta_download.xml

From reading what's on this page, it will probably support other versions of Windows in addition to Vista. It didn't read to me as if it would exclude other versions.

At work we're heavily into Windows. Desktops are almost all exclusively XP; we won't start to transition to Vista probably until next year. We do however have more machines running Windows 2003 Server, which at the user level has XP-like functionality with the older "classic" interface. Connecting to either through RDC is easy and relatively painless (or is that "paneless"?! -_^)

While MS could make RDC work only with Vista, I think even they know it would be both pointless and annoying to users. Of course that's never stopped them in the past.

In terms of selling more copies of Vista, they're all set. They don't need to do it through RDC. They have two methods that are most effective.

1. Stop licensing older versions of Windows. While there was backlash from customers and OEMs (Dell, for instance) to buy XP versus Vista, eventually MS will stop licensing XP. In the not-too-distant future, if you buy a Windows PC it *will* have Vista.

2. Terminate support to older versions of Windows. They do that regularly. Eventually XP support will stop. The Windows security model being what it is, corporations will quickly move to Vista.

OP
knightlie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
It's on AppleInsider, I hadn't seen that link. It doesn't mention versions, but says Vista will work *better*, so I assume then that XP will be okay and AppleInsider didn't report it too well (gasp!).

Okay, nothing to see here, move along...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.