New MacBook Pro - Told LED but it's LCD

Reaction score
So what should I do??? I bought it at 59th street in NYC. The salesman assured me it was the new LED but it's the older LCD-type. Since I'm a photographer, it was kind of one of the things I was looking forward to. Should I return it or is it not worth it? Are they even shipping LED's?

Thanks!
MC

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
So what should I do??? I bought it at 59th street in NYC. The salesman assured me it was the new LED but it's the older LCD-type. Since I'm a photographer, it was kind of one of the things I was looking forward to. Should I return it or is it not worth it? Are they even shipping LED's?

Thanks!
MC

If you were promised an LED Backlight MBP and you go the old one, I would go back and demand what you paid for. Be nice, but show them it's the wrong model. I am told the LED backlight screen looks awesome. Blacks much darker.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 MB white, upgraded to 2gb RAM, 2 apple HD failures - now WD 250gb Scorpio Black
OK, I'm not really following you here. Perhaps there is some Jargon confusion

The newer MBP 15s use LED backlighting FOR the LCD screen, instead of CCFL backlighting.

OP
M
Reaction score
attackeagle-

How do I know it's an LED then? Under System Profiler, it says LCD. Would it not say LED?

Thanks btw!
MC

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Of course it's an LCD screen. All Laptops are. Like the other poster said, the older MBP's were CCFL which is a Florescent Tube and the new MBP's are LED backlighting which is much better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If you bought a 15 inch Macbook Pro with a 2.2 or 2.4GHz processor, then you have the LED backlight. If you have a processor with a 2.16 or 2.33GHz processor, then you have a regular CCFL backlight.

I know that at release, the 17 inch model didn't have the LED option. I'm not sure if this is still the case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 MB white, upgraded to 2gb RAM, 2 apple HD failures - now WD 250gb Scorpio Black
If you bought a 15 inch Macbook Pro with a 2.2 or 2.4GHz processor, then you have the LED backlight. If you have a processor with a 2.16 or 2.33GHz processor, then you have a regular CCFL backlight.

I know that at release, the 17 inch model didn't have the LED option. I'm not sure if this is still the case.
QFT. Exactly right, none of the 17's do still...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz powerbook g4, 1gb RAM, radeon mobility 9700, combo drive
just to clarify,

the LCD is analogous to a piece of film and the LED backlight is analogous to a light table that you would use to view your piece of film. CCFL backlights can become uneven over time (like the one on my powerbook).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.