MBP wont stay shut down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz 4GB Ram 320GB HD
I dont know why but after a while my mbp wont stay shut down for more than a hour.ive narrowed it down to two different possibilities. A) Its a software problem. B) Its haunted. Since A. seems more plausable ill explain why. I transfered my MBP's hard drive to my old G5 iMac. And now my iMac wont stay shut down.
My process of shutting down is to quit all programs, check my processes for anything suspicious and find nothing, then shut down. then itll start up in roughly an hour. Also, I have checked my Energy Saver in System Preferences, nothing is on to make it wake up. I have turned it on to wake up at a certain time to see if it would distract my computer from booting in an hour but that failed to work. GIVE MY COMPUTER A REST AND HELP ME... pretty please. thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Do you have anything plugged into the MBP, either in the USB ports or perhaps an external monitor?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Are you turning it off or just hibernating?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know for sure i am turning it off. and generally nothing is plugged into it. sometimes not even the power adapter. it still happens every time.

Its really annoyiing to have your mbp in the back seat and pick someone up and your computer turns on to give them a nice spook.

And sorry i posted this in the wrong section. should be in software, i knew better just wasnt thinkin.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
I think this is the right forum, and that is a pretty strange problem. When you shut it down do you make sure the screen goes black before closing the screen?

M

MacHeadCase

What are your options in the System Preferences -> Energy Saver -> Options tab like? What are the Wake Options set to?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What are your options in the System Preferences -> Energy Saver -> Options tab like? What are the Wake Options set to?

Also check the Schedule button under Energy Saver. See if anything there is checked.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know for sure it shuts down. the screen turns black i listen for the hard drive to spin down and everything. I know that if i close it too early itll just hibernate.
My wake options are set to: Wake for Ethernet network Admin. Access. - thats on. If thats whathas been keeping my mbp restless im gonna feel silly.
And my mbp is not Scheduled to wake up or shut down at any time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.