Using MBP in Japan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP SR 2.2Ghz 15.4" LED
I just checked some info about electricity in Japan and of course the MBP is capable of being used over in Japan. But, it does state that sensitive equipment maybe damaged by or not work fully because of the Hz.

Has anyone here used their MBP over in Japan after purchasing it in North America?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 MB white, upgraded to 2gb RAM, 2 apple HD failures - now WD 250gb Scorpio Black
what is japan? 50 hz?

I've used older desktop macs and PCs on 50 hz, they'll run fine but be more prone to hanging up and errors in my experience (granted this was some 15+ years ago). With how things are now (what with it being a laptop which has a DC power input and not ac in) I wouldn't expect any problems worth worrying about.

Reaction score
I'm not sure about US-bought MBs and Japan. Mine is Europe-bought and I had no trouble using my MB in Japan. If you want to be absolutely sure why not just buy a power adapter in Japan (apple store is in Ginza/Tokyo) even though I think that's just wasted money.

kuchiki

OP
yellow19man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP SR 2.2Ghz 15.4" LED
I'm not sure about US-bought MBs and Japan. Mine is Europe-bought and I had no trouble using my MB in Japan. If you want to be absolutely sure why not just buy a power adapter in Japan (apple store is in Ginza/Tokyo) even though I think that's just wasted money.

kuchiki

You said you had problems using your MB. What types of problems did you encounter?

OP
yellow19man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP SR 2.2Ghz 15.4" LED
what is japan? 50 hz?

I've used older desktop macs and PCs on 50 hz, they'll run fine but be more prone to hanging up and errors in my experience (granted this was some 15+ years ago). With how things are now (what with it being a laptop which has a DC power input and not ac in) I wouldn't expect any problems worth worrying about.

According to my google search, eastern Japan is on the 50hz and western Japan is 60hz. I will be travelling throughout Japan so I will encounter both 50hz and 60hz.

Just want to make sure I don't fry my computer when I bring it over there. I spent a decent sum of cash on this machine and I hope it will last for years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
You should PM Sgt. Beavis. I don't know if he has an Apple laptop, but he travels to Japan a lot (I think his wife is from there) and he'd probably be able to tell you right away.

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
I use a MBP in Japan and its standard apple AC adaptor.

OP
yellow19man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP SR 2.2Ghz 15.4" LED
Not really:)I actually didn't have any problems with my EU power adapter. I think you misread my reply.

kuchiki

yeah, just re-read your initial post and I mis-read it. :)

OP
yellow19man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP SR 2.2Ghz 15.4" LED
I use a MBP in Japan and its standard apple AC adaptor.

Do you have any problems with sensitivity because of the lower hz? I'm not too sure what this sensitivity means but plenty of sites are stating this.

Anyways, if you are using it with the normal Apple AC adaptor (two prong) then I guess I don't have anything else to say since you are already using it in Japan.

Thanks for the help! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.