Backing Up & Restoring OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2.6GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB DDR3L RAM, 512GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Within the next 3 weeks I will be purchasing a new MacBook Pro and will be selling mine. I want to create an image of my HDD from my current MBP and then use that image to replace the new MBP's HDD. I don't want to only copy the USER folder. I know theres way to install OS X from an Image but I don't know how to create the image and how to use it to install.

Thank You

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Do you have an external hard drive? Obviously that would be the easiest place to store a drive image.

Here is a free application that does drive imaging: Carbon Copy Cloner

I'm sure there are other programs out there that can do what you're asking for. You should be able to find them with a simple Google search

OP
PrimalYeti
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2.6GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB DDR3L RAM, 512GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Do you have an external hard drive? Obviously that would be the easiest place to store a drive image.

Here is a free application that does drive imaging: Carbon Copy Cloner

I'm sure there are other programs out there that can do what you're asking for. You should be able to find them with a simple Google search

Yeah, I have a 400 GB E-HDD. Carbon Copy creates a perfect copy of my hdd and stores it on my external? Now, how do I install OS X from my image?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I haven't personally used it, but the documentation seems to have the information you're looking for

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.