Sleep?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, 2GB RAM, 120 GB Harddrive, 2.0 GHZ
Hey, I'm gettin a MacBook delivered to me within the next week, and I have a question to ask..

Know how when you close the top to the laptop, it goes to "sleep"? Well, what do you all do?

1. Instead of turning the whole thing off, do you just close the top, and let it sleep?
2. OR do you turn it off completely?
3. If 1 is true, what are some consequences? (Does the fan still run, is the screen under any stress, etc..)

-Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I rarely shut down my Macbook as the Sleep function is great, unlike Windows' sleep function which can be a hit or a miss.

The Macbook essentially suspends itself and uses up little to no battery while in sleep mode. On the outside, it pretty much looks like it's been turned off, the only indication of sleep mode is the pulsing white LED next to the IR port. When you open up the lid, you just pick up from where you left off.

I love the sleep mode on my Macbook. I can just close the lid, throw it in my bag, get to my next class, and just pick up where I left off. This is while all my fellow classmates waste time shutting down and powering up their Windows laptops.

Reaction score
yeah, I put mine to sleep whenever I'm moving it or leaving it for a little while.. but I do shut it off overnight once a week or so... my MB seems to get a little sluggish when it hasn't been shut off in a while.

Reaction score
That's an interesting question. As a recent switcher I noticed that mac users tend to use the sleep mode more consequently than pc users. I'm still pc in this aspect that I shut down my MB every night before bedtime:)
During the day I usually use the sleep mode and the deep sleep mode (hibernation) when away for more than 2 hrs.

hope I was of help.

kuchiki

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook dualcore 2.16, 2G RAM, 120GB HDD
Good question

I am also interested in this question.
I think it is totally no problem to use MB in a full time sleep mode and never shut down the machine.
But I recently noticed that in sleep mode, MB consume much more electric than what I thought it ought to be.

Does anyboby have any ideal on this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I don't notice that much of a power drain when in sleep mode. Perhaps a few minutes here or there, but only when it's been left in sleep mode for a while. If it's just in between classes, the power level essentially stays the same.

Something else I wanted to point out. I used sleep mode exclusively after I bought my Macbook. It wasn't until 3 months later that I actually shut the thing down for a night. Before that, the only time it came close to a full shutdown was during resets.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MacBook 2GB RAM
I use the deep sleep widget. It puts the mac into a zero power draining sleep. I think it writes the memory to the HDD and turns of all power. When you hit the power button the memory is reloaded from the HDD and the computer starts back into your desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
I love the sleep mode on my Macbook. I can just close the lid, throw it in my bag, get to my next class, and just pick up where I left off. This is while all my fellow classmates waste time shutting down and powering up their Windows laptops.

' evil laugh ' it feels so good to be able to do something a **** of a lot easier and quiker than class mates !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
The joys of OS X :D

OP
Zakmdot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, 2GB RAM, 120 GB Harddrive, 2.0 GHZ
Thanks for all the awesome replies everyone! I love this forum, very active. It shipped today :) Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.