BlackBook 1GB vs. 2GB / apple vs crucial

Reaction score
I am new to the seemingly wonderful world of macs. I'm a college student looking to get the black MacBook; I feel like I would regret getting only 1GB of RAM, even though I am not an extensive gamer/ video editor / or the 'type' who would need the extra RAM.

Is 2 GB over-kill ? I am willing to pay for the extra RAM just to have my macBook as fast as possible.

Now to the 2GB question. I have read many posts on people putting in their own 2GB, as opposed to the expensive apple memory. Being a student I am able to up-grade to 2GB for $157 , or I can order 2X1GB Crucial from newegg.com for something around $90.

Is it worth the extra $60/$70 to have the apple install the memory, or is it a simple process to install the RAM yourself? Which of the two is better (apple vs crucial )

Thanks for any and all help.

OP
trayns
Reaction score
Correction.

It's not crucial RAM,
its Corsair 2GB RAM of off newegg.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
It is very simple to upgrade the RAM and newegg is much cheaper. No, it is not worth paying apple the premium to upgrade your RAM. There are plenty of tutorials out on YouTube, and it's very easy.

Two gig is not overkill at all, and it makes for a much snappier lappy. Best and cheapest upgrade ever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
It's so easy a girl can do it!

Me<~~~~

:D

OP
trayns
Reaction score
I've already went to youtube _ it looks easy.

What and where is the best 2GB RAM to install yourself ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I've already went to youtube _ it looks easy.

What and where is the best 2GB RAM to install yourself ?

I got my RAM from newegg, just like you are contemplating. Corsair is a good brand.

Just be sure that when you install the new sticks, you get it in there real good; it takes quite a bit of pressure to seat them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.