protecting with password

Reaction score
hello all!

how can i protect a mac with a password, like with windows that you have a username and password and have to start a session.

i also want to protect it when i go to lunch, so no-one can use it.

thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
If you just go to System Preferences>Accounts, you can access all your password/login settings. OS X MUST have a password set for admin features (even if that password is blank/nothing), so there is already some level of password protection on your system.

As for protecting it when you're away; just log out, then for anyone to use the computer they'd need to have their own account or know your password to log in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Rather than logging out which can be annoying if you do any work at all. Just open /Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access

Use the preferences to select Show in menu bar.

Once the Lock icon is in the menu bar just select Lock screen. This will allow you to leave apps open instead of logging out. It will prompt for your password with a mouse wiggle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP SR 2.2Ghz 15.4" LED
What about adding a password at start-up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro. 2.3Ghz Intel Core i7 running OSX 10.14.6, 16GB Ram
If you disable automatic login,(System Preferences/Accounts/Login Options and have a password assigned to your account, (again, even if it is a blank password) then it will ask for it each time you start up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP SR 2.2Ghz 15.4" LED
If you disable automatic login,(System Preferences/Accounts/Login Options and have a password assigned to your account, (again, even if it is a blank password) then it will ask for it each time you start up.

Thank you!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.