Backup Software?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
On my iMac I have a 250GB internal system drive, a 250GB USB drive and a 640GB Firewire drive.

I have just got a 2TB Firewire drive which I want to use as a backup drive but I'm wondering what software would be best for me to do the backups.

The System Drive really only has OSX, fonts and applications so what I'd like is for this drive to be backed up once a week as an image so that I could just restore it should the system drive ever fail.

The 640GB and 250GB external drives have different data on them (thousands of photos, mp3's, documents, software dmg files etc etc) which is constantly being added to, modified etc. I'm thinking it would be best to do one total backup followed by incremental ones to just backup new and modified files. I'd like this to be something that can be automated on a daily basis.

Can anyone recommend some software that would be suitable?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
For backing up your system disk you can use something like CarbonCopyCloner and schedule it to clone your startup volume every week (there's not much point having your system stored as a disk image. If your system disk dies, you really want a bootable copy of it to get back to work straight away).

As for the incremental backups to your photos/music/etc I don't really know the best way of going about it.

Reaction score
SuperDuper can do all of that. You'll need different disk partitions for your two kinds of backups; the system image backup, and the user files backups.

SuperDuper has been around for a while and if you ask around I think you'll find it is the top recommendation for home use. The thoroughness of its backups and its ease of use are excellent. And there's a nice community built up around SuperDuper so there's plenty of assistance if you need it.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
Cheers guys will check them out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.