Help - About To Buy MBP!

Reaction score
Hey guys.. first of all, great site!

I've had a little search around multiple boards, but i'm not entirely satisfied so I'd like to put some questions out there.

First, the background: I've finally had enough of vista and my vaio, and I'm looking for a fresh start with a nice MBP. I want the smallest size possible, so i'm currently looking at the 15" model with the 2.4 GHz.

Now, the questions:

1) Apple are looking for £480 to upgrade from 2GB ram to 4GB, which is the amount of ram that I want. However, if they think I am paying that much they are crazy. So I'm looking to buy 2x 2GB sticks. Apple list their ram at 667 Mhz speed. However, I know that there are 200 pin, 2GB DDR2 sticks on the way at speeds of 800 Mhz. I was wondering:
Will DDR2-800 sticks be compatible with the latest (june 07) macbook pro?

2) What is the general consensus of a Macbook Pro BODY or CHIP upgrade when Leopard comes around? I'm getting the impression people aren't realistically expecting one but am I wrong? I know there are rumours of a smaller and/or thinner model, but there always are.

Thanks guys. I should also mention that I am going to be waiting till Leopard's release before I get a mac, as I can wait till October and I don't really want my first true mac experience to be a software upgrade procedure. I had enough pain with Vista.

Thanks everyone for their advice in advance! It's nice to see a sense of community after the cold experience that was Windows :D

D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4 GHz C2D 160 GB HDD 2 GB RAM
As far as your first question goes, the Santa Rosa chipset featured on the latest MBP has a front side bus speed of 800Mhz so I'm pretty sure your 800Mhz sticks will work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.