• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

The Case for the Powerbook G4

F

forza

As some of you may be aware, the small country of Portugal is under siege by over a million football (soccer) fans right now. The atmosphere is incredible and the international crowds are truly amazing ... as the MasterCard commercial tells it, a "United Europe...Priceless."

Anyway, I was down near the pitch behind the camera/TV crews in the Holland v. Germany match; the pictures are updated on some of the sporting websites pretty frequently, but how is this done from camerman at the match to the user thousands of miles away trying to follow the match?

Powerbooks. The cameraman had his G4 setup right next to him, using Bluetooth I presume to wirelessly transfer the images as he took them to his notebook. Unfortunately, with the exception of this sweet outdoor internet café (free) I'm in right now, Portugal doesn't have many wireless networks.

So, when the match finally ends, the cameraman grabbed his equipment, his Powerbook was still open and flopping around as he ran towards the gate so he could get up to a wired connection to transfer the pictures.

Interestingly, I think the reason he didn't close his notebook while he was running was because of the sleep 'feature'; he had to allow the camera to continue transferring the images. I'm a recent 'switcher', maybe someone can enlighten me and this chap as to how you can turn off the sleep function when the screen touches down to the keyboard (i.e. closed laptop, functioning hard drive).

Cheers, Forza Italia e Apple!
Mark ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
get a program called sleepless... its not recommended for ibooks though, but you have powerbook ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Will that not harm the screen though? I'm pretty sure the cooling in beneath the speaker grill. The air flows out when the processor hits 100%. So will this not harm the screen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
I read Apple Powerbooks are officially supported lid closed operation so it should do it without any extra appss (is there an option in energysaver?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Nope, nothing in OSX allows u to use the powerbook normally with lid closed (unless u use an external monitor)

OP
P

PowerbookG417

never tried the sleepless program..however there is one other way no one mentioned..its a lil intense..but there is a magnet under the right hand speaker grill..well on the 17's that can be disconnected or a switch put it on turn off that sleep feature entirely, other than that..i have also heard of certain metals..for get the name now that you can get that are only mm's thin and will block magnetic signals which would work aswell

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.