Need some opinions on my Nano.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
I'm having some concerns about my 2nd gen. iPod Nano. I bought it last year right when they came out, so I think that's why it's kind of buggy.

Issue #1---(Just happened today) I pushed the middle button and it came on but as soon as I touched the outer wheel the screen went black. It did this about 5 times. Turned black, pressed the button, touched the click wheel, turned black..etc...
*Just tried it again right now, same thing happened but only twice. I find this very weird. This is the 1st time it acts like that. BTW, I restarted it and it's still doing this. So far it's only behaving this way on the main screen. It's still plays music normally.

Issue#2---Sometimes it doesn't want to go to sleep. This happens almost always when plugged into my MB. I sync it, when it's done I press sleep and it gets stuck and doesn't go to sleep. The wheel doesn't even move. I have to press sleep several times for it to finally sleep.

Some minor things---Doesn't always display album art.

I wasn't really bothered by the sleep issue but Issue #1 just happened today and that definitely doesn't seem normal. As I said, it's a 2nd. gen. from the very 1st batch of nano's. I wasn't going to buy apple care for it but I probably will with all this stuff going on. Should I take it to the genius bar?? I'd like to take it and see what they say if this keeps happening. My warranty will be up soon so I don't want to wait.

Thanks! This is probably my longest post on M-F!! lol :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Reset it, and see if that fixes your problem. My 5G video occasionally goes wonky and a reset fixes that. Search apple.com on how to do that. It can be done quickly, and you'll know right away whether it fixes that problem.

If it doesn't fix it, it's Genius Bar time stat before the warrantee expires.

OP
Netty4mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
I already did that and it continues to turn on and then go black. It stopped doing it a couple of times that I tested it but then it does it again. I'll try resetting it again.

EDIT: Well, it seems to be a better now that I have reset it for a 2nd time.

OP
Netty4mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update: Issue #1 just came back :( It went black once again.

OP
Netty4mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm having such terrible luck with my MB today as well. iPhoto, iMovie, and Quicktime crashed in the last half hour. :( I was trying to upload and view a little clip I made of my nano acting weird, just in case I need it to show at the genius bar...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Netty, is your iPod s/w up-to-date? I assume it probably is, but if not you might try updating it. (When you connect your iPod to your MB, the sync screen has a button for getting the latest s/w for your iPod.)

Good luck!

OP
Netty4mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup, I checked and it is up to date.

Reaction score
Well the sleep issue happens with my 2nd gen nano as well. I find that if I press sleep as soon as I eject then it won't work. It's almost as if it's still resetting before it takes a command.

I also get the album art issue but I don't know why sorry. Whenever I have problems with the nano I do a hard reset which usually fixes it. Seeing you've already done this I think you might need to take it into Apple. Is it still under warranty?

OP
Netty4mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, it's still under warranty til Oct.15. The album art issue doesn't bother me. It's the 1st one I listed that really does. I've been messing with it all evening and it's still doing that. I might have to wait til saturday to go to the apple store but I'm going to try to make an appointment with a genius.

Reaction score
Well if it's any consolation I had an issue with my first 2nd gen nano. I just took it in under warranty and they didn't even bother to look at it. Just sent it away to Apple and I got a replacement about a week later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Yeah, it's still under warranty til Oct.15. The album art issue doesn't bother me. It's the 1st one I listed that really does. I've been messing with it all evening and it's still doing that. I might have to wait til saturday to go to the apple store but I'm going to try to make an appointment with a genius.

one last thing you can try before you take it to the apple store is a full restore.. Backup everything on the ipod and do a full restore.. it may work..

"Solving iPod Issues (also known as iPod 5 R's)"

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303940

OP
Netty4mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
one last thing you can try before you take it to the apple store is a full restore.. Backup everything on the ipod and do a full restore.. it may work..

"Solving iPod Issues (also known as iPod 5 R's)"

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303940

Well, I did a restore and it's still acting the same. :Confused: Looks like I'll be at the genius bar on Saturday. I wish I could make it there sooner but I don't think I'll be able too. At least I'll get to check out the iPhone! :D I just hope Mr.Pink gets well soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Well, I did a restore and it's still acting the same. :Confused: Looks like I'll be at the genius bar on Saturday. I wish I could make it there sooner but I don't think I'll be able too. At least I'll get to check out the iPhone! :D I just hope Mr.Pink gets well soon.

Oh ok I must have missed that part in your posts.. One other thing you can try is go to www.ifixipodsfast.com and email them with what your issue is and see if they can help.. I have gotten a ton of good info from the guy that runs that site. He might be able to help ya out!

OP
Netty4mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh ok I must have missed that part in your posts..

No you didn't. :) I restored it after I read your post. Thanks for your help, I'll try the website you suggested.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
For the album art issue, don't forget that if you add album art to songs in your library you sometimes have to re-upload (not just re-sync) those songs to the iPod for them to take. This occasionally happens on my Gen 5 as well. It should only happen with CDs that you have ripped and not with iTMS music you have purchased though.

For issue #2, is the iPod set to be in Disc mode? Does it show up and stay on your desktop? If so, it may not go to sleep because it is mounted.

For issue #1, when you say it turned black, does the iPod reset itself? Does the Apple icon come on the screen?

OP
Netty4mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For issue #1, when you say it turned black, does the iPod reset itself? Does the Apple icon come on the screen?

No, it doesn't reset itself. The screen just goes off, after that I'll press the middle button again and sometimes the screen will keeping going off (did 5 times, right after the other, yesterday) or sometimes it will be okay.

OP
Netty4mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For issue #2, is the iPod set to be in Disc mode? Does it show up and stay on your desktop? If so, it may not go to sleep because it is mounted.

I just tried that right now. I unmounted it before putting it to sleep....it's not mounted on the desktop or itunes. I pressed sleep and it didn't go to the charging screen. It got stuck, doesn't scroll. I pressed a 2nd time and then it finally said charging.

I've had and ipod mini and an ipod photo and none of them ever did this. I never had any issues. As soon as I pressed sleep it went to the sleep. Same goes for issue #1, never seen that kind of behavior before. Good thing I could still listen to music and all. I have a gut feeling my nano is like this because it was the 1st batch of new 2nd gen. nanos. All my other ipods I've purchased months after the release.

Thanks for the help! :D

Update: My nano wouldn't even turn on just now but I was able to revive it with a reset.:Grimmace:

OP
Netty4mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update! Well, I went and saw a genius today. How funny, my nano was acting pretty normal today except that the genius noticed that it had trouble going to sleep. So anywho, they gave me a replacement and the nice guy even waived the $30 fee I was supposed to pay. All in all it was a very nice experience. I'm so happy with the new one, it works flawlessly!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
W00t w00t Netty! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.