Mac Help stopped working

C

cakman2

After Downloading the new iTunes udpate and the latest security patch and installing them, all the sudden my Mac Help in Finder has stopped working. When I try to open it, it struggles... spinning color wheel... and then closes. then it asks if I should send error report, but will not allow me to send it (the send box is transparent).

Any ideas what may be wrong or how to fix it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Did you run repair permissions? After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions. IF that doesn't help, then delete the preference files, Finder > Library > Preferences find apple.helpui.plist apple.hlpviewer.plis And if there is a third control click and send to trash. close everything and reopen finder and open Mac help and those preferences should regenerate and help should work again and you can secure empty trash

OP
C

cakman2

Thanks, I will give it a try when I get home.

I have done that before , but not since this last download.

OP
C

cakman2

Didn't work. I guess I am experiencing my first Mac snafu. A little frustrating to be honest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
cakman2, go download a program called Yasu (it's free). Run it, and reboot. It will repair permissions, clean out all cache (which might help) and update your prebindings, as well as run all crons.

Did you read the second part of witeshark's post about erasing the plist file? That usually does the trick.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.