• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

quicktime avi problems

Reaction score
Hi!

I've been able to play .avi files perfectly well now for quite a while...until recently... I think since I updated my quicktime application a few days ago, all my .avi files appear to be "corrupted", even if I try and play them using other apps like divx or real player. I'm pretty sure I have the right codecs as I've managed to play avi files before and I tried reinstalling what I installed ages ago to get it working in the first place (like the divx codec).

I hope you can help!

Thanks!

Jamie

OP
F
Reaction score
mate very fast reply thanks a lot!! lol

thats done it! but i just dont get it, that's one of the programs that I already installed ages ago!

Out of curiosity, did this recent problem occur because of the update?

Thanks again!!

Jamie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Did you get 1.0 or do you have an earlier version? Earlier versions didn't work well with the newest version of QT.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook intel core duo 2.0GHz, 2 GB Ram
Same exact thing happened with me. I installed Perian a long time ago, and when I updated my Quicktime it all went crazy and didn't work either. After reinstalling it it seemed to work just fine. Who knows what happened exactly. I'm not too fond of updates anymore, they seem to cause more problems for me...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.