applecare on purchase?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.2GHz 2gb RAM 15-inch Widescreen
when i purchase my macbook pro...should i purchase it with applecare at very first, or wait further into the free warranty to see if it's a defective model? i know that applecare counts from the time that you purchased the computer not when you purchased apple care, so i am not trying to extend my plan...i just want to hear your opinions. i would like to take advantage of the free warranty as much as i can without endangering my macbook, or wasting a year off the price of applecare. i'm leaning twords waiting before getting it so i can save up a little more to get it. lets see if you guys can convince me to do otherwise :D.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
It makes no difference whatsoever.... Other than the fact that if you wait 11 months to get the Applecare, at least your money is earning interest (unless you keep your money under the mattress, then there is REALLY no difference)... Although, it's nice not to worry about forgetting.

I paid for the Applecare on my iMac upfront. I decided to wait to get the Applecare on my MacBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
when i got my mbp i purchased it when i ordered. i just wanted to get it out of my way and not worry about it later on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Only reason to get the AppleCare sooner rather than later is if you really want an extension to the 90-day phone support. Either that or to make sure you don't forget to buy it later.

The coverage is the same whether you purchase it on day one or day 364 (except for the phone support, of course :p)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Ah! I have to get mine before November. =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
applecare for me was the best investment ever, I pretty much got a new computer out of it after all the repairs I have got done over time...

OP
Austin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.2GHz 2gb RAM 15-inch Widescreen
LOL, i never thought of it like RIDE did! there is really no difference at all. your money is just collecting interest in the bank. i think i am going to go ahead and just get the macbook, then save up more for the applecare.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
Is applecare actually worth the money?
Surely house insurance does the same thing?? Sure you would have to pay a premium (a few hundred £) but best to spend that if anything happens than to spend it upfront.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4
u can save lots of money on applecare by buying it from ebay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
Is applecare actually worth the money?
Surely house insurance does the same thing?? Sure you would have to pay a premium (a few hundred £) but best to spend that if anything happens than to spend it upfront.

Your insurance pays out for damage or theft... not usually if the product just stops working.

AppleCare doesn't cover damage or theft; it comes into play if you need support and/or repairs/replacement parts.

There's no point ringing your insurance company and saying "my computer won't boot.... help?", and there's little point going to Apple and saying "my house got burgled... will you replace my computer?". Two different things.

As for buying with the Mac or later; personally I'd wait, just so I'm not paying out too much in one go and I'm fairly confident I can sort out any problem without phone support (yeah, that will come back and bite me in the backside sooner or later, but I like to live live on the edge :p).

Reaction score
levi you made a very good point about the insurance/apple care thing

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.