Backup to external

Reaction score
I finally got my macbook all set up and I bought a WD MyBook 250GB external drive. It came formated as FAT32.

I would like to back up my macbook so I was using the external for all my stuff and I was going to make a backup image file and just put it on the external. I found out this wont work because its going to be a 120GB file because its a copy of my macbook.

So question is. If I reformat the external and do a backup to it using superduper it will be a bootable drive at 250GB. Now what happens to the extra 130GB? Does it just become a 250 partition that I can boot from. Also if I keep it as a backup can I dump say 50GB of extra stuff on it.

Id like to have the macbook and the MyBook as exact copies but then use the MyBook to dump my videos on to and keep the Macbook empty.

If that makes any cense to anyone.

OP
S
Reaction score
Anyone at all

I just want to know what happens if I do a bootable backup using super duper to an external drive thats bigger then the main drive? Can I add stuff to the bootable backup drive?

M

MacHeadCase

If this external is only to be used with your MacBook and you don't care about Windoze compatibility, why not reformat the drive in OS X's native HFS+ format? That way you won't get any file size limits and I would imagine OS X has less contortions to do to read it. Just run Apple's DiskUtility (in the Utilities folder) on it by highlighting it in the sidebar and choose reformat in HFS+.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I would partition it also. Use one partition as a copy for your Macbook's backups, and the oter for you stufff you don't want on your Macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
I also would do it that way.

Open Disc Utility, under /Applications/Utilities

Select the external hard drive from the menu of drives on the left, then select partition.

In the main body of the window there should be a drop down. You should choose '2' partitions. Rename them to something that helps you remember what they are, and size them accordingly (120 GB named 'OS X Backup', and the rest as 'Data Stores').

Then click the 'Partition' button at the bottom. WARNING: This will erase anything you may currently have on the drive.

Also, the Partition type should be set to 'HFS+ Mac OS Journaled', probably that way by default.

After the reformat, you are ready to go.

Best,

Brian

OP
S
Reaction score
perfect thats what I was looking for. I am in the process of moving everything off it now....I should have gone with 500 GB not 250...agh oh well.

One more thing. If my macbook was to crash how do I boot up on the external?

Reboot and hold the option key and the partition with the backup will show up?

Also how big should my backup partition be for a 120GB drive? Its 120 but you always lose a bit...

OP
S
Reaction score
I am getting really confused. Anyone here have experience with SuperDuper? I partitioned the drive and did a bottable backup. Now what ever I change on my macbook hard drive the same thing is done to the external....Also if I eject just the backup partition they both go.

I should have just bought 2 hard drives...

Alsohow come when I delete something off the external the used/available disk space stays the same?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
I am getting really confused. Anyone here have experience with SuperDuper? I partitioned the drive and did a bottable backup. Now what ever I change on my macbook hard drive the same thing is done to the external

You have syncing turned on. If you don't want syncing, try Carbon Copy Cloner (freeware from Bombich site)...it will do a bootable full backup, and no syncing.

I have a feeling you can turn off active syncing on the Super Duper Program though.

....Also if I eject just the backup partition they both go.

Fix the syncing issue, and you won't have to eject them.

I should have just bought 2 hard drives...

That's another way to go, but definitely not money smart.

Alsohow come when I delete something off the external the used/available disk space stays the same?

Delete the Trash Bin, and the space should increse.

Best,

Brian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.