Boot from installation disk, hold "C" is not working.

J

jackdecember

Hello,

I have a problem and i would like to ask for helps. I am trying to reinstall a PowerPC G5, as i did before with others Mac I hold the "C" key when the mac restart. This time I did exactly the same but the Mac I am installing is not boot from the installation disk. It just go though to normal.

Any suggestion would be appriciate.

Thanks a lot

Jack

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hello,

I have a problem and i would like to ask for helps. I am trying to reinstall a PowerPC G5, as i did before with others Mac I hold the "C" key when the mac restart. This time I did exactly the same but the Mac I am installing is not boot from the installation disk. It just go though to normal.

Any suggestion would be appriciate.

Thanks a lot

Jack

Which installation disc are you using? The one that originally came with the machine? Or is it one from another system?

OP
J

jackdecember

the disk i used is Mac OS X Tiger-- Includes Xcode 2 --- Install DVD---Version 10.4.6

I bought it from apple

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the disk i used is Mac OS X Tiger-- Includes Xcode 2 --- Install DVD---Version 10.4.6

I bought it from apple

I assume that the drive you've put the disc into is actually a DVD drive, and not a standard CD-ROM or CD-RW drive. Right?

OP
J

jackdecember

I assume that the drive you've put the disc into is actually a DVD drive, and not a standard CD-ROM or CD-RW drive. Right?

Yes, this is DVD drive. By the way, the disk i got is a retail disk.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What about if you hold down the Option key instead of C? Does it show the DVD as an option to boot from?

OP
J

jackdecember

What about if you hold down the Option key instead of C? Does it show the DVD as an option to boot from?

I did, I tried to hold down the option key and what I see is only 1 option of starting from Hdd of the Mac. I am thinking about if the problem is the DVD drive, do you think it is stop working?

I tried also to plug an external DVD drive of my pc to the mac and run from there. I don't know if that is the right way to do but i still get nothing.

Any suggestion please !

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You should be able to do it from an external drive as well. In my opinion, it's starting to sound like a bad disc. When you boot the machine and insert the disc, can you read its content?

OP
J

jackdecember

Well, I am surely the disk is ok because I just used it to install on another mac and it runs pretty good.

I would like to ask you about the external DVD drive. This external DVD drive use USB cable, so is it ok with USB cable or it has to be firewire cable.

Thank you.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I am surely the disk is ok because I just used it to install on another mac and it runs pretty good.

I would like to ask you about the external DVD drive. This external DVD drive use USB cable, so is it ok with USB cable or it has to be firewire cable.

Thank you.

You're on shaky ground here, legally since you've already mentioned you used the disc to install on another machine (it's one license per disc). This forum prohibits discussion of illegal activity, but I will tell you that you can indeed use a USB cabled device for booting from a disc. Is it possible that the disc is for an Intel-based Mac?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.