Unix

P

psychotoe

Ok let's see if I can explain this with out sounding to out there.

How different is Unix on a Mac then if I were to telnet in to a Unix box at school.

For instance if I was scripting using telnet from a windows based system to tap in to the Unix box at school where all my lessons are, because OSX Panther is already Unix based can I do all my work with in the OSX Console with out telneting? I mean is the coding any diffrent then if I were to telnet in to the school computer?

Unix is Unix right?

Man I hope I didn't confuse anyone with this. :D

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you are telnetting to a unix box to create perl scripts, shell scripts or creating various programs. The you should be able to in MAC OS X.

I know you can create shell scripts, but I don't know if perl is available.

Not knowing what you are doing, makes this a wild as guess.

OP
P

psychotoe

rman said:
If you are telnetting to a unix box to create perl scripts, shell scripts or creating various programs. The you should be able to in MAC OS X.

I know you can create shell scripts, but I don't know if perl is available.

Not knowing what you are doing, makes this a wild as guess.

I’m sorry, it’s an introductory to Unix class, and all he has us do is pretty much create scripts that open or close shells and little things like that, use commands that display the time time date or who's on line. Nothing complex yet. But he has us telnet to the Unix box at school, I was wondering if I can do all that with out telneting.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can use the terminal application. You should be able to do the same thing that you do, when you telnet to a school unix box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
All true, but I suggest Gee, hate that word recommend for some reason SSH instead of the insecure telnet

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not all schools or systems have secure shell (ssh) loaded on them. Whereas telnet is part of the base operating system, just like remote shell (rsh).

OP
P

psychotoe

rman said:
Not all schools or systems have secure shell (ssh) loaded on them. Whereas telnet is part of the base operating system, just like remote shell (rsh).

Thanks to all!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.