Airport Utility PROBLEM, please help

Reaction score
So basically all I'm trying to do is open the Airport Utility so I can configure my Aiport Extreme Network. The problem is, when I open Aiport Utility it scan's for a base station (which I know is Apples wireless internet box) but I don't have one. I do have a Linksys WRT54G router though, and I am connected to in the internet wirelessly on my laptop.

So, What do I have to do to make the Aiport utility find my router??? So I can get into the configuration options, I'm stuck at a page that says "Airport Utility was unable to find any base stations...make sure you base station is in range blah blah blah"

WHat do I do??

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Airport utility isn't for connecting to a router...it's used to configure Airport base stations.

To connectot your Linksys you need to click on the Airport icon up by your clock in the menubar and choose your network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
You can't use the Airport Admin Utility for anything other than an Airport base station. Use your web browser, and in the address bar type the ip address for your router.

Reaction score
I am experiencing the same problem. I cant detect the Airport Base Station with the same error message.

In WinXP, I had to manually connect to the base station (File -> Configure Other)...connect to the base station with the IP address (the address of gateway in your network properties) and the password.

While I can configure the base stations now...I cant connect to the shared printer via Bonjour anymore.

I am hoping Apple has a new fix for this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.