got water on my macbook!

Reaction score
my cat accidentally spilt my glass of water and some of it got onto my macbook, which was open and on. i wiped the water off and the laptop was still on and working. then suddenly the screen went black although i could still see the outlines of the windows on the screen: it was still on. i switched it off and tried turning it on again but it wouldnt turn on.
a friend said i should tilt the laptop so the water could drip out and i did this, although i tried to turn it on several more times (which i later found out i really shouldnt have done!!)
i'm not sure what to do now...how long should i leave it to dry? should i try turning it on again in a couple of hours?

please help!

Reaction score
I don't want to rub salt in a wound, but why do people keep trying to turn on a wet laptop to see if it works? The first thing to do is pull the battery and power cord, immediately. Water is and of itself is pretty much harmless. Logic boards are washed in water during manufacturing process. It is the combination of water and electricity that will fry it. The laptop needs to be opened up and dried out for days!
ifixit.com has excellent surgery manuals.
Best of luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Give it days to a week.
Water and electricity do not mix. It should have been turned off immediately. Hopefully by not leaving it on till the water did something you didn't fry it to a oblivion.
I wouldn't recommend taking a hair dryer to it or anything. If you can take it apart, go to ifixit.com for a great how to guide.
Otherwise, just let it sit in a very dry room and let it naturally dry itself out.
Personally, the longer the wait, the better chances you have to get it to work again.
Good luck.
Bryan

Reaction score
It sounds like the inverter of your MB display got damaged. If so that might get expensive to fix if your guarantee expired or you do not own a protection plan.
Hopefully, drying your MB will help.

I wish you good luck.

kuchiki

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
It sounds like the inverter of your MB display got damaged. If so that might get expensive to fix if your guarantee expired or you do not own a protection plan.
Hopefully, drying your MB will help.

I wish you good luck.

kuchiki

Either way it won't matter. AppleCare does not cover water damage or other accidental breakage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM
it does seem like your backlight went out, the screen you describe looks like when you turn down the brightness to 0. though unfortunately that doesnt mean thats the only problem.

Reaction score
This sounds like the one who...............oh never mind.............his was a different liquid.

Seriously - I feel for you. Hope the problem (cheaply) gets solved.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.2GHz 2gb RAM 15-inch Widescreen
if nothing works out, and applecare will not cover it (and your still covered), your macbook is totally dead (in the ground, not working, you can't even sell it for scrap), try faking a hardware failure :D. run a couple thousand volts through it :Evil:

oh and one more thing: murder your cat.

OP
A
Reaction score
hey...
just tried turning the macbook on and it worked!! everything works perfectly...

thanks for all the advice though.
guess i was really lucky.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM
ye omg, im happy for you, i wouldve been seriously ****** if my macbook died

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.2GHz 2gb RAM 15-inch Widescreen
hey...
just tried turning the macbook on and it worked!! everything works perfectly...

thanks for all the advice though.
guess i was really lucky.

there you go! i'm really happy for you. i learned alot from this thread, now i know if i ever spill water, just rip the cord out and take the battery out. awesome.

oh, and did you put your cat in the microwave yet?

OP
A
Reaction score
haha haven't punished the cat yet but i dont let it into my air-conditioned room with the temperature outside at 47 degrees C...i think it knows it did something wrong

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Even though all seems well, I would still pull that battery out and let it sit/dry out, untouched for the rest of the week, in case there may still be a drop of two of water in there just waiting to do damage.

just my opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
Take a look at this ebay Item number: (removed for people's own good- Geeky1) if you really want to fix that unit.

Impressive. 5 posts (so far) all spamming your ebay auction. Very nice. Business taken a little downturn lately? Are you really that desperate for customers?

And even nicer than your spamming is the fact that your Ebay auction page fails to note that anybody that sends their machine to you-unless you're an AASP, which I highly doubt-will totally void whatever warranty they may have left with Apple.

Jerk.

Edit: Original post was deleted. I was NOT talking to myself, I swear >_<

Reaction score
Impressive. 5 posts (so far) all spamming your ebay auction. Very nice. Business taken a little downturn lately? Are you really that desperate for customers?

And even nicer than your spamming is the fact that your Ebay auction page fails to note that anybody that sends their machine to you-unless you're an AASP, which I highly doubt-will totally void whatever warranty they may have left with Apple.

Jerk.

Edit: Original post was deleted. I was NOT talking to myself, I swear >_<

What warranty the second that water or liquid hit that board , you can :* that warranty goodbye. give the man a chance to help some people
middle_finger_flame_jpg_w300h300.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
This sounds like the one who...............oh never mind.............his was a different liquid.

Seriously - I feel for you. Hope the problem (cheaply) gets solved.

LOL!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.