ugh, someone spilled water all over my macbook!

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new here. Thursday night somebody spilled water all over my macbook, and never told me about it:Angry-Tongue: . After using it later in the night I went to bed and then woke up to it not turning on anymore. Much to my enjoyment, i picked it up and there was lots of water underneath it. Now I have been letting it dry for a few days until i take it into the apple storeon monday.

My question is do you think apple care will cover the damages? Do they put those humidity indicators inside macbooks? and if not do you think they will be able to tell it was water? I'm am very upset that this hapened and nobody has fessed up to it. Sorry for the long post and thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
I have never heard of the Humidity Indicators in MacBooks. You actually might get lucky since water doesn't leave a mark when it dries up, unlike Wine or Soda.

But I am not 100% sure.

Sorry to hear about that unfortunate event though. And Welcome to the Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz, 2GB RAM
I say: Just tell them it stoped working :s I'm not a liar or anything, but sometimes life is so unfair to us...

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you guys so much, you know if I had done the damage i wouldn't be so upset about it.'t turn on ink i'll just tell them that I woke up and it didn't turn on. I really hate doing this to them but i honestly can't afford to pay for someone else's mistake. Anyone else have any good advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
Hate to be a party pooper but they can almost always tell when its water damage. Best of luck to you though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I agree, they will almost always be able to know it was water or liquid damage. And no, AppleCare does not cover that.

Reaction score
Keep us posted on what happens.
Goodluck!

Lewis

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I have never heard of the Humidity Indicators in MacBooks. You actually might get lucky since water doesn't leave a mark when it dries up, unlike Wine or Soda.

But I am not 100% sure.

Sorry to hear about that unfortunate event though. And Welcome to the Forums

That's false. Unless it was 100% distilled water (which it probably wasn't), it leaves minerals behind and can cause corrosion. That's why if you drop electronics in salt water, they're pretty much garanteed to become a paper weight.

Granted, tap water isn't nearly as bad, but some tap water is disgusting. I worked at sears for a while and one of the things we did was water testing for the water softeners and you see all kinds of stuff in tap water like lime and rust and when it dries, it's not pretty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
That's false. Unless it was 100% distilled water (which it probably wasn't), it leaves minerals behind and can cause corrosion. That's why if you drop electronics in salt water, they're pretty much garanteed to become a paper weight.

Granted, tap water isn't nearly as bad, but some tap water is disgusting. I worked at sears for a while and one of the things we did was water testing for the water softeners and you see all kinds of stuff in tap water like lime and rust and when it dries, it's not pretty.

I only drink filtered. ;)

Reaction score

Make sure to avoid all salt water / oceans when handling my new Mac Book. CHECK

Reaction score
I wonder if this guy who spilled water on your Mac could possibly be the same one that went to the bath..................no on second thought - never mind - too much of a coincidence............:D :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.2GHz 2gb RAM 15-inch Widescreen
try burning your house down with your macbook inside it, they will replace it then! if water damage isn't covered, fire damage certainly is!

oh, and whoever threw water on your macbook...how about you beat his legs out with a bat? it always helps. or take his family for ransom until he gets you a new macbook.

Reaction score
try burning your house down with your macbook inside it, they will replace it then! if water damage isn't covered, fire damage certainly is!

oh, and whoever threw water on your macbook...how about you beat his legs out with a bat? it always helps. or take his family for ransom until he gets you a new macbook.

Well we know who may have the issues in this forum. But I agree with finding the person responsible for that and making them pay (financially).

Reaction score
All acts of fraud and physical violence aside, do not try to turn it on.
Go here:
http://ifixit.com
Crack it open as far as you feel comfortable. Put it in a warm place, with a fan and let it sit for a good couple of days.
Best of luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Actually no it's not. That would be covered by homeowners or renters insurance (actually the insurance may even cover the water damage, you should check with your agent).

AppleCare only covers defects in workmanship, not accidents or other catastrophes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
somebody spilled coke on my computer and apple knew it, they replaced the logic board any way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube 450Mhz 1Gb Ram, iBook G4 1.2Ghz 1.25Gb RAM
Yea water damage is a real pain.. computer components can literally rust in a few minutes.. so i'd check ur contents insurance and see about a claim.. apple can't cover people for accidental damage or every1 will be throwing there macbooks down the stairs the week before there apple protection runs out..

But my advice tell everyone ur claiming on insurance so it dont matter anymore, and ask out of curiousity who did it... they fess up then you beat them with a piece of 2x4 with a nail through it!!!!

tell us how it works out...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"|matte display|OS X 10.4|2.2ghz intel
apple can't cover people for accidental damage or every1 will be throwing there macbooks down the stairs the week before there apple protection runs out..

personally I think spill damage should be covered. it was on my old hp laptop, and when I found out apple care didn't cover it, I had a small panic attack. all beverages are kept FAR from my lappy.

but they definitely can tell that something was spilled inside. I was at the Genius Bar one day and the customer's macbook wouldn't turn on but he happened to be a friend of the "genius" and said genius was like, hey man, if you spilled something on this, they'll know, it's not covered, blah blah.

so... did it all work out?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.