CD Burner not working, please help

Reaction score
I just recently bought a Macbook, it was second hand but only used for about two months before i got it.
Ive been able to burn CD's since i got it, but suddenly a couple of days ago it just stopped working. The message i get on iTunes is "This disc failed to burn. The device failed to respond properly, unable to recover or retry"
Does anyone know whats going on? I dont know what to do.
thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook white 13' Core 2 duo 2.0 Ghz, 1.5 G Ram, 160 GB Hard Drive
Hi there,
We need more information to help you;
1) Have you put in a regular Music CD and see if Itunes will read the disc?
2) Have you put in a DVD movie and see if it plays?
3) Have you put in a Recordable CD with Mp3's , Mp4's, etc. to see if it plays off a Recordable CD Media
4) We are not sure what Macbook you have, if you have the macbook with DVD burner, have you tried burning a DVD in the past , did it work?
5) Do you have a CD / DVD that has a program you can install onto the mac, try and it and see if it works.

If your answer is no to all of these questions, than your CD/DVD unit is dead.

Anyways let us know of your findings and see if we can you help you.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi there,
We need more information to help you;
1) Have you put in a regular Music CD and see if Itunes will read the disc?
2) Have you put in a DVD movie and see if it plays?
3) Have you put in a Recordable CD with Mp3's , Mp4's, etc. to see if it plays off a Recordable CD Media
4) We are not sure what Macbook you have, if you have the macbook with DVD burner, have you tried burning a DVD in the past , did it work?
5) Do you have a CD / DVD that has a program you can install onto the mac, try and it and see if it works.

If your answer is no to all of these questions, than your CD/DVD unit is dead.

Anyways let us know of your findings and see if we can you help you.
Thanks for the reply!
1. Ive put in a regular CD, itunes reads, plays and imports.
2. DVDs work, my girlfriend and i were watching Gilmore Girls last night.
3. That works too.
4. Ive never tried to burn a DVD, im pretty sure i can on this one though.
5. No, i dont have a disc.

M

MacHeadCase

Well you can bump the thread all you want but Gamalen just gave you two things to try (#4 and 5) to determine if the optical drive works correctly or not. Your reply is you don't have a disk or you haven't tried it.

Looks to me like the ball is in your court. Till you try troubleshooting tips we give you, there isn't much left for us to help you with.

BTW where are your Restore disks? You should have had them with your Mac. Now if anything goes wrong, you can't reinstall the OS or bundled software nor can you run hardware diagnostic and repair software on your Mac.

OP
S
Reaction score
Ok well i just clicked the IDVD thing accidentally and it said that i dont have a supported SuperDrive so i cant burn DVD's.
I just dont understand why the CD burner just stopped working, i didnt do anything, it worked one day and the next it didnt. =(

Reaction score
i thought if you dont have a superdrive you don't get iDvd?

OP
S
Reaction score
I must of had the Superdrive at one point, i suppose it broke when the CD burner did.

OP
S
Reaction score
So if i had all the restore discs and just reformatted the whole thing, does anyone think that would work?
I can just ask one of my mates for the discs, cos they have a macbook aswell.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.