New MBP 15" C2D - noisy fan and bad battery life?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB 7200RPM HDD
I just got my first mac, a 15" MBP. I'm surprised at how noisy the fan is, and that it's on when you're just surfing the web. Another thing I noticed was poor battery life, lasting just over an hour surfing the web and listening to some music. Anybody else with similar experiences?

PS. What kind of battery life do you get on your MBP?

Edit: I think i can attribute the noisy fan to Firefox's 100% CPU flash bug. However, I still think that it's unnecessarily loud.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz 4GB, iPod Classic 120GB
The only time the fan gets noisy with me is when I am doing processor intensive work or I turn it up myself for gaming or something of the sort. I suggest downloading SMC Fan Control and adjusting the speed yourself although careful not to make it overheat. But the fans running at full speed constantly is not good at all, it shouldn't happen.

As for the battery life I get about 4 hours off of a full charge... 1 hour is definitely not right.

Some other more experienced users on here may have a better answer for you but I am fairly new myself. I suggest you take it to the Apple store and have them look at it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4
The fans in my MBP only turn on when there's heavy load on the CPU (multi-tasking, playing games etc). Otherwise, it runs very quiet for most of the time. As for the battery, I managed over 5 hours with Wi-Fi on. Better have yours battery checked out at the store.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB 7200RPM HDD
Called up Apple (there's no Apple store around here.) Tech said he had no idea why it would do that either. He had me reset the PRAM/NVRAM, and PMU. He said to monitor it and to try calibrating the battery again. I've got it going now, doesn't look good :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.