Using XP Discs from Dell for Boot Camp

Reaction score
I have startup/ recovery discs from my Dell laptop and I was wondering if I'd be able to use them to install windows on my Macbook with Boot Camp. I'd appreciate any information anyone has. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Unfortunately I believe OEM install disks that come with your Dell system are only licensed for use on your Dell system. Usually you can't transfer the license and the Windows activation is tied to that computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15", 2GB RAM
If you are not using the copy of XP on any other computer, then you should be able to install it. If it gives you activation trouble, just call MS and explain your situation. They will unlock the key for use on a new hardware config, or allow you to use the phone activation feature.

Remember, this is only legal if you are not using the copy of XP on any other computer.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.