Errors Installing OS X on 333mhz iMac

S

swn5363

iMac 333mhz (tray loading)
384mb RAM; 6GB HD
No current OS (becasue I erased the disk during the first install attempt)

==================

I have tried to install 2 diff versions of OS X several times each. Boot and install from original installation discs.

I get the same errors every time:

With OS X v. 10.2.1 (about 10 mins into the actual install)
"The installer has quit due to an unexpected error (exit code 0)
Please restart your computer"

With OS X v. 10.1.2 (about 15 mins into the actual install)
"There were errors installing the software.
Could not access folder. Please try installing again."

Additionally, I've tried to re-install OS 9.2.2 just so I can use my computer again and I get this error during the first restart after a successful installation:
"Sorry a system error has occured. unimplemented trap. To temporarily turn off extensions, restart and hold down the shift key."

Anyone else experience a similar problem... maybe there's a solution?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

OP
C

Chamorro

Did you make sure your firmware is correct; the most up-to-date for your computer?

Also, you're indicating that you have discs for 10.2.1 and 10.2.2, which makes me believe that these are "Update" discs. I could be wrong, but you may need to get the 10.2 "Full version" discs, then update to 10.2.1, 10.2.2, etc.

Lastly, did you make sure that your HD is healthy?

OP
J

jerodhusvar

You might also boot with the Hardware Test CD and check your memory to make sure it is good. I've seen installs of OS X blow up due to a bad memory module.

OP
S

swn5363

Thanks for the responses!

It appears that the discs are both full installs, rather than upgrades. One came with my G4 Power Mac and one from a friend's G4 Power Mac. They are both the original discs... not copies.

I updated my firmware when I still had OS9 on the iMac (maybe a year ago?). I'll double-check to make sure I have the latest.

And running the Hardware Test CD is something I haven't thought of. I'll definitely try it... I've heard that the old iMacs are very picky about the memory that is added.

Thanks again... I'll post later with an update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
swn5363 said:
Thanks for the responses!

It appears that the discs are both full installs, rather than upgrades. One came with my G4 Power Mac and one from a friend's G4 Power Mac. They are both the original discs... not copies.

That may be the problem right there. Are the disks the restore disks for the PM G4s or are they actually a full install OS X disk?
If they are grey disks (the usual color for a disk included with a new Mac), then they are system restore disks and while yes, they do have the full OS install, they are configured specifically for the PM G4....not an iMac. While it may work for some, software restore/install disks are not garaunteed to work with any other configuration than the system they came with. This may be why the install starts yet never finishes.
If they are the white disks with the leopard print "X" (assuming it is 10.2) on them then they are a "true" full install and garaunteed to work on any Mac.

OP
S

swn5363

I am using the Gray discs from my G4. I guess that would explain why the install is still not working.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Thanks D3.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
When you purchased your mac, you should of received a few CD's. One is labeled 'restore' (can be in many parts or on a DVD) and the other 'install' (Normally it's a CD, disk 1,2 & 3. Disk 3 is optional and is seldom required. Newer Mac's have everything compiled on a DVD)

The installer notes on the INSTALL CD should tell you can you use the software with a iMac, along with hardware requirements. But generally you can because the install will only install software that is required on your system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
swn5363 said:
I am using the Gray discs from my G4. I guess that would explain why the install is still not working.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Thanks D3.

Gray? Every CD is GRAY... apart from the application one which have a fancy print.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
hype.it said:
Gray? Every CD is GRAY... apart from the application one which have a fancy print.

Which is why I said:
D3v1L80Y said:
If they are grey disks (the usual color for a disk included with a new Mac),.....

However, depending on the age of the system the restore disks may have also been either orange or even white. ;) :D

I was just trying to determine what disk was being used to attempt the install. It is entirely possible to do this but:

D3v1L80Y said:
While it may work for some, software restore/install disks are not garaunteed to work with any other configuration than the system they came with.

The only disks that are fully garaunteed to install onto any Mac are the full retail install disks. :)

OP
S

swn5363

hype.it said:
The installer notes on the INSTALL CD should tell you can you use the software with a iMac, along with hardware requirements. But generally you can because the install will only install software that is required on your system.

It does state in the install notes that it will work on an imac... hmmm... maybe something else is going on. But what? :eek:

I'm gonna fool around with it again tonight. Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you tried resetting your PRAM?

Press and hold "Cmd+Option+P+R" during startup and wait for the Second Chime before letting go. This should reset any settings that have been corrupted in your PRAM MEMORY.

It's normal to loose time and date settings, but everything else will be recovered by your system when you boot up.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
My dad and I both have PowerBooks. I use his restore CD's in my PowerBook. I can't use them in my iMac though.
You could lug the PowerMac and a FireWire cable to wherever the iMac is and install OS X via FireWire Target Disk Mode.

OP
S

swn5363

Okay... I know it's been a while, but I've tried all kinds of things, including a clean install of 8.6 which came with the computer.

It seems I have a hardware problem.

8.6 installed okay, but crashes on startup.

I ran the disk first aid from the install disc and it's showing "MountCheck found minor errors". I tried to repair... and it appears to repair it successfully, but it still finds the problem when I verify the HDD.

Any ideas? Could the HDD not be seated correctly, or just be a bad unit?

This is incredibly frustrating, but thanks for all the help so far.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Oh sh*t... I have the same problem.
Hold down the spacebar right when you press power, and turn off the ATI graphics Accelerator.

Does that help?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.