NTFS drives not mounting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
iMac Core Duo
2GB RAM
OS 10.4.9
Using MacFUSE + NTFS 3G

I'm having a problem mounting NTFS drives on my machine. Sometimes they mount, sometimes they just refuse to mount. I can see the drive in Disk Utility, but when I press mount, it does nothing. I restart, pull the drive off, do all kinds of things, but it doesn't work. Then some ten days later, its all fine. Only for NTFS.

And this problem was there even before I used the MacFuse + NTFS drive thing. Any idea on what to do?

Milind

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Reformat the drive as FAT-32?

OP
goobimama
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah well. I download lots of HD movies, which are always bigger than 4GB, the max file size of FAT32...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Ah well. I download lots of HD movies, which are always bigger than 4GB, the max file size of FAT32...

Well that's great...and probably illegal.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have no issues ever mounting a NTFS drive on any of my Macs, BUT, Even if you mount it, you can not write to NTFS on any OS except Windows NT, XP, 2k and Vista.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, he's using MacFuse, so that could have messed something up....

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Well, he's using MacFuse, so that could have messed something up....

What is MacFuse? Did someone actually come up with a way to WRITE NTFS on OSX?

Interesting. Did not even see that NTFS 3G driver. I really don't care for me but it will help others who use NTFS externals. That could be his issue since none of it is stock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
goobimama
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But like I said, I've had this problem even before I installed MacFUSE. I know that OS X can't write to NTFS which is why I installed it.

I never said I download pirated movies. It could be, but I never said it. And anyway, that has nothing to do with this thread.

I guess I'll do a clean install when leopard is out....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I never said I download pirated movies. It could be, but I never said it. And anyway, that has nothing to do with this thread.

Ok so where are these feature length HD movies that aren't pirated found online?

And yes, it does have to do with this thread and illegal activity is absolutely not allowed here and would result in the closure of your thread.

OP
goobimama
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I seriously don't see the logic in this. I'm saying I need to move large files (heavy photoshop documents, disk images, so many other things) which is why I need to use NTFS, and suddenly I'm talking about pirated movies? I know you are admin n all, but this is a totally absurd accusation.

I will go ahead and claim that I am in the video editing business, and I need to get HD videos of my clients all over the world to edit them at home. Is that illegal?

If you don't know the answer to the question, then why bother? I know I'm going to get banned now for my rude attitude (I would ban me for this rude attitude of mine), but I had to say that.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wish I could help you. I also work with sometimes LARGE HD videos. People purchase videos on Ebay and are told they will play, but they get them and they are PAL and a lot of USA Set top players will not play PAL. To convert, the first step it goes to DV and last night for example the DV file of the PAL video was 25.8GB. Then it goes trough the next step and finally burned to DVD.

So I know where you are coming from, just the only support for NTFS on anything other than Windows seems to be that NTFS 3G driver. I did not even know it was out. There must be issues with it.

FAT32 is useless for me as most stuff I convert for people goes way over 4GB at one point. I just use external drives on my iMac formatted in OSX format and if I need to get the file to the PC for some work I just use my Gigabit network.

On the Piracy issue, we have to be careful here not to allow any talk about Piracy of Copyrighted movies or the forums will be in trouble with the MPAA. So Schweb and the other Mods here are just doing their job being sure Mac Forums is here to help more people tomorrow!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I seriously don't see the logic in this. I'm saying I need to move large files (heavy photoshop documents, disk images, so many other things) which is why I need to use NTFS, and suddenly I'm talking about pirated movies? I know you are admin n all, but this is a totally absurd accusation.

Allow me to quote you:

You're the one that opened the door my friend, I didn't pull it from thin air. I simply asked where you're downloading feature-length HD content from?

We strongly frown on illegal activity here. When you imply that is happening, whether it's the main point of your post or not, expect to be questioned. We are at risk if we allow discussion of illegal activity and I'm sorry, but the welfare of the board is more important than your ego.

I will go ahead and claim that I am in the video editing business, and I need to get HD videos of my clients all over the world to edit them at home. Is that illegal?

No need to be obnoxious about it. Given your virulent response to this, you basically have proven that you are pirating otherwise there would be no need to respond as you have.

If you don't know the answer to the question, then why bother? I know I'm going to get banned now for my rude attitude (I would ban me for this rude attitude of mine), but I had to say that.

I won't ban you, I'd rather let others see your poor attitude. I would however suggest that if this is how you will choose to interact with the staff here, you may want to find another forum.

OP
goobimama
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I lower my head in shame....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.