iMac G3 not starting up

B

bruceg

I replaced my HD myself and put everything back together myself. Now when I start my iMac, the button turns orange and I hear a brief beeping noise, but the monitor never displays anything (stays dark). Anyone know what may be causing this problem?

-Bruce Gilbert

OP
C

Chamorro

Did you remember to plug in the VGA cable? Otherwise, it sounds like a video/analog board issue.

OP
B

bruceg

Chamorro said:
Did you remember to plug in the VGA cable? Otherwise, it sounds like a video/analog board issue.

is the VGA cable connected to the HD? I am pretty sure everything is connected correctly, but can double check.

-Bruce

OP
C

Chamorro

bruceg said:
is the VGA cable connected to the HD? I am pretty sure everything is connected correctly, but can double check.

-Bruce

Ummm, no. The VGA cable plugs into the VGA port on the rear and bottom of the "chassis" that houses the HD, CD, etc. It's a monitor cable for the "built-in" monitor.

OP
B

Badger

Are you hearing the normal startup bong or a more rapid, higher pitched beeping? The rapid beeping indicates a hardware problem. Either way, the first thing to do would be to dissassemble the iMac and make sure all the connections are correct and well seated (including the jumpers). Did you press the reset button (also called the CUDA or PMU reset) after you installed the new HD? If not, do it now. Put it all back together and try it.
There is an illustrated guide to this type of replacement at:
http://www.appletalk.com.au/forums/index.php?showtopic=436
Badger

OP
B

bruceg

Problems with new HD

I have installed my new HD and everything seems to be connected O.K. I need to install the system software, but when it ask for me to choose a destination drive, I get no options. Does this mean the HD is not working? I am new to installing HD's myself (obviously). It's a seagate HD and there was an installation CD that came with it. Problem is, when I try and insert the installation CD, I get the blinking question mark. and it won't start up with the CD in and pressing the C button either. Any suggestions?

-Bruce Gilbert

OP
B

Badger

Sounds like you need to format the drive. This has to be done to make it usable in a Mac. Boot up with the Mac system install CD, open Drive Utility and click on the drive and choose intialize. Once the drive is formated you can install the system software.
Badger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
bruceg said:
I have installed my new HD and everything seems to be connected O.K. I need to install the system software, but when it ask for me to choose a destination drive, I get no options. Does this mean the HD is not working? I am new to installing HD's myself (obviously). It's a seagate HD and there was an installation CD that came with it. Problem is, when I try and insert the installation CD, I get the blinking question mark. and it won't start up with the CD in and pressing the C button either. Any suggestions?

-Bruce Gilbert
You haven't mentioned yet:
What version of the Mac OS you are trying to install.
What Rev. iMac you are trying to install it on.
How big the HD is.

If it is OS X then it has to be on the first 8 GB of the drive. You may have to use disk utility to partition 8 GB on the drive if it is larger than 8 GB in order to install OS X on your iMac if the iMac is an earlier Rev.
Then the partition will show up as a drive you can install it on to.

If it is OS 9 or earlier you are using then a simple format of the drive will suffice.

You will not be able to boot off the HD Installation CD as there is no Mac System folder on it to boot from. This is why you only get the blinking "?".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You can find more information about the OS X 8GB limitation and other hard disk install problems with OS X here and here.

Hope that helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.