Apple Cinema Display + PS3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook C2D 2.0GHz 2GB RAM 250GB HDD
Hey guys,
I have a 20" Cinema Display and was wondering if there was a way to hook up my PS3 to it. I have a really crappy HDTV that just isn't cutting it. Is there an adapter that I would need to purchase or something? Thanks for any help guys.

-ping

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
EyeTV Hybrid
Connect game consoles and enjoy virtually no latency game play.
And much more, e.g. watching tv

OP
pingpongitore
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks that is a cool little device but it isn't exactly what I was thinking of. I am looking for someway to connect my PS3 directly to my Cinema Display.

-ping

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
I found this on a forum.

"alright, heres the deal. what you need to do is 1. buy a FEMALE DVI-D ( make sure its dvi-d not regular dvi) to MALE HDMI adapter. 2 insert the dvi-d port on your display into the adapter. if you need it to be a longer connection get a female hdmi to male hdmi. plug the HDMI end of the connector to the ps3 and whal la!!!"

OP
pingpongitore
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now is that for an Apple Display or any DVI display in general? I had read somewhere that this works with almost any display except an Apple Display. I would love to be able to watch bluray on it but if not I really don't want to buy a new tv right now.

-ping

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Yes, that's for an apple display

OP
pingpongitore
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sweet I can't wait to try it out, I hope it looks a lot better than my tv. Aren't Apple displays High Definition?

*edit*
I looked on newegg.com and found this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812337036

Is this going to cut it you think? Also I had heard somewhere that the PS3 won't work with cables that aren't HDCP...how do I found out if the adapter supports that?

-ping

Reaction score
Sorry to necro this thread, but I'm wondering about this too. I want to connect a PS3 to my 20" ACD using HDMI-DVI... will this work? I haven't found any good answers anywhere.

Reaction score
There are HDMI to DVI cables. I know because this is how I connected my PS3 to my Dell display. I purchased the cable a Fry's.

Reaction score
Just curious what type of HDTV do you have that looks crappy??? Sometimes a few menu settings can make a big difference. I'm also assuming that you're using a HDMI or Component video cable./ Also, have upgraded your PS3 firmware?

My son just upgraded ours and it looks a bit cleaner (and downloads faster - too) on our HDTV (1080p JVC rear pro DILA)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 3.2; 4GB Ram; 8800GT; 320GB + 1TB; 2 X Dell 3008WFP; Denon FS3 5.1 Sound Bar & 17" MBPro 2.6
I am pretty sure the solution suggested will work for PS3 games but forget BluRay movie playback on an ACD - the display itself needs to be to be HDCP compatible for HD playback, which the ACD isn't (I think you might get a non-HD signal though - not sure though). This is one of the reasons why I am running 3008WFP Dell monitors instead of the very pretty 30" ACDs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.