Will my wireless work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
Hi everyone,

Straightforward and probably "dumb" question, but will my wireless Netgear DG834GT work with my macbook pro wirelessly (when I get it)??

How easy is it to set up? I have managed to do it on two PC's already, so i'm guessing it's a similar process. Anything I might need to be aware of?

Reaction score
if your router is already configured and everything, then all you have to do is pick up the signal with your MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I have yet to find an open wireless network that didn't work with my Macbook. Protected, that's a different story, but if you know the WEP or WPA key, it shouldn't have any problem.

Also I can only assume this is true about the pro, but my Macbook will pull in signals other laptops won't even know are there. In fact, currently at my place of employment, they have building wireless that my corporate issued Dell refuses to connect, while my Macbook just goes 'oh, yeah that network, let me connect to it.'

You should have no problems.

OP
vaughan80
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
excellent, just what I wanted to know. thank you.

One more thing, i dont want to go clogging up the forum with loads of threads - how hot does the macbook pro get, and does the battery deplete with time (if so, can you buy another) and what is the average battery life? Apple.com claims 6 hours, but that seems like a long time for a laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
when i got my mbp i usually got around 4 hours with normal use with email and surfing the web.

Reaction score
its 6 hours with bluetooth off and wi fi off and like everything off and brightness on the lowest and doing nothing.

its about 3.5 hours when watching dvds

it gets less and less when you have more things on ie: bluetooth, Wi-Fi.

so when your not using Wi-Fi and bluetooth etc just turn them off to preserve battery life. Also in the system preferences you can choose energy saving options.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Hi everyone,

Straightforward and probably "dumb" question, but will my wireless Netgear DG834GT work with my macbook pro wirelessly (when I get it)??

How easy is it to set up? I have managed to do it on two PC's already, so i'm guessing it's a similar process. Anything I might need to be aware of?

Have you had any issues with that Netgear? I did some reading and it seems a lot of people have had issues with that very router, lock ups and WiFi having to be Reset all the time. Just curious.

OP
vaughan80
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's actually OK.
At first my internet connection would time out after about an hour, but i changed some settings and everything was ok. My only issue with it, the netgear wireless dongle that came with it is HUGE (and flimsy, cheap plastic) which means that on my PC I can't fit anything into the second USB slot as it takes up too much room. V. Annoying.

I was completely new to wireless routers and networking, this is a lot esaier to set up than I thought it would be.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Your Netgear should work fine with your Mac. I have a Netgear WGT624 108 Mbps Router and it works fine will all my Macs. On really hot days though the router locks. That is one reason I asked about yours. I am just using it as an access point in one side of the house. All my Macs connect and work with it just fine as well as my Dlink and 2 Linksys WRT54g's.

Reaction score
my Macbook will pull in signals other laptops won't even know are there. In fact, currently at my place of employment, they have building wireless that my corporate issued Dell refuses to connect, while my Macbook just goes 'oh, yeah that network, let me connect to it.'
Is this true of the Macbook Pro as well? Or just the Macbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
i have the same router and I have never had any real issues. The router sometimes does need reseting but I have never put that down to my mac as it has done it with windows machines too.

I have a 3 storey house and I can get a 3 bars out of 4 most times with router being under tv on ground floor and me being on 2nd floor.

OP
vaughan80
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your Netgear should work fine with your Mac. I have a Netgear WGT624 108 Mbps Router and it works fine will all my Macs. On really hot days though the router locks. That is one reason I asked about yours. I am just using it as an access point in one side of the house. All my Macs connect and work with it just fine as well as my Dlink and 2 Linksys WRT54g's.

I live in the UK, we never get any hot days. ;D
Well, certainly not lately.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I live in the UK, we never get any hot days. ;D

That is cool. It's been around 100 and sometimes 105 here lately, so keeping things cool has been an issue.

Reaction score
I live in the UK, we never get any hot days.

i know 4 floods!

2 months worth of rain in 24 hours

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.2GHz 2gb RAM 15-inch Widescreen
so from the posts in this thread, i have come to the conclusion that my [future] MBP will connect to pretty much any connection like a PC would? there really is not discrimination when it comes to wireless connections right?

OP
vaughan80
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
doesn't look like it. if you have problems post a thread and hopefully someone will be able to help you out. from what I understand it's even easier to set up than a PC.

yeah, UK weather is a joke atm, fortuantely not flooded (some of my friends have been and its been devastating!), but I don't think i've had a full sunny (and warm) day since late may.
It sucks, i want to move!

sorry, I digress...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
WiFi is an open standard. Any computer that is WiFi compatible will be able to connect to a WiFi network.

Airport = WiFi. So yes, it will work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
nope none at all.

Reaction score
one more quuestion to add to this thread.

Certain parts of my university building have WiFi connectivity. But using my Acer laptop (or any other Windows operated), whenever I want to connect to the WiFi say in my studio classroom, I needed to do some internet configurations. Most notably changing my laptop's LAN settings & changing the proxy server or address or something like that.

If anyone understand what I am trying to explain, will I need to do the same with the MacBook as well?..

thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.