Screen Protector review: Power Support Crystal Film

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Crystal Film is an iPhone screen protector made by Power Support and sold at Apple Stores as well as online. First of all, a link:

http://www.powersupportusa.com/products/iphone_filmset.php

A little cheaper at the Apple Store Online:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=B319498&nplm=TN612LL/A

This is a clear film for the iPhone and it comes in a 2-pack. The Apple Store sells it for $14.95. Slightly expensive, but you did just spend $600 on a phone so what's another $15 to protect it from nicks? I did quite a bit of research before deciding on a screen protector. The first question was, of course, does it need it? The glass seems to be fairly scratch-proof, but there's also the issues of fingerprints and smudges. So the second question is, which screen protector? After reading numerous reviews, I decided on the Power Support Crystal Film set. Apple has enough confidence in it to sell it at their stores, so that should tell you something as well.

I applied one to my phone and one to my wife's phone, straight out of the box. First of all, it's a lot thicker than other screen protectors. If you've ever used an InvisibleShield you'll know what I mean when I describe most as "floppy", similar to a piece of clear tape. This was more of a rigid surface which helped tremendously when applying it to the iPhone's screen. Installation is simple: first make sure the screen is nice and clean - no dust, smudges, or fingerprints. Next, peel back a corner of the Crystal Film and apply to a corner of the screen. There are holes to help you align it with the iPhone's sensors and speakers and whatnot. The trick is to align it with both a hole like the earpiece and a side or corner, that way you're pretty much set straight for the rest of the application. Then just pull the rest of it down onto the iPhone. You will have bubbles, but they are INCREDIBLY easy to remove. Lightyears easier than I've ever had to do before. You can get it bubble-free in like 10 seconds with no hard work or tiny little bubbles trapped inside. I think the rigid design of the screen protector helps with that.

So how does it perform? In a word, flawlessly. I can't even tell that it's on - literally. It feels the same and functions exactly the same as the stock glass screen. The added benefit of using the film is that you can wipe it off with any kind of cloth, like a corner of your t-shirt, instead of having to use the special microfiber cleaning cloth that Apple includes. I can also wipe it with my finger if it gets too smudgy, but it's done an excellent job of not gunking up too much.

Pros:
Feels and looks the same as the stock screen
Use any soft cloth to wipe off (even a finger)
Doesn't seem to get as smudgy as the phones I played with on display at the Apple Store

Cons:
Expensive (but at least you get 2!)

Verdict: Two thumbs up!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I was pretty annoyed when I opened the package and only found two. It's pretty neat how they don't say how many are in the package; that's pretty shady business. They necessary but not remotely worth $15.
Bryan

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I was pretty annoyed when I opened the package and only found two. It's pretty neat how they don't say how many are in the package; that's pretty shady business. They necessary but not remotely worth $15.
Bryan

I was surprised there was more than one in the package - BestSkinsEver and InvisibleShield only give you one! Ripoff? Of course. Necessary? Unfortunately yes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
anyone searched for knock-off ones on ebay? that is where i get all my cell phone peripherals from at cheaper prices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I will buy some once this one becomes too worn out and needs replacing.
Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D, 2 Gig.
its nice to have but not must have.

the easiest screen film cover to apply ever. after buying one and installed both, i bought another one, just in case i needed to replace the screen protector.

its been a little over a month since i applied this power support crystal film, and not one screen scratch on the film, it just doesnt cratch.

i give it a 4/5.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.