Macbook Memory Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook C2D 2.0GHz 2GB RAM 250GB HDD
Hey guys

I was wandering around newegg.com and came across a 3GB RAM set for Apple laptops. I have a Core 2 Duo MB and was wondering if it will take 3GB of memory. Also is 3GB total overkill or will it be worth the money? it is a 2GB + 1GB set. Here is a link to the product.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16820233051

Thanks for your help!

-ping

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading on another thread that the limit is 3.4 gb, so youd be ok.

To be honest with you however, i honestly dont think it is worth the money to get 3gb simply because there will not be an appreciable difference unless your doing some super high end stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 2GB Ram, 120GB HDD
Will the Macbook support 3gb Ram = Yes
Shal you purchase 3gb Ram = No

Core 2 Duo Macbooks are listed as 2GB Ram maximum because that is what is recommended due to Core 2 Duos work best when they have equal amount of Ram in each slot, for instance, 2 1GB Ram sticks will work better then a 2GB Ram stick and a 1GB Ram stick.

You may notice a tiny bit of speed increase when using intense programmes like Final Cut, however, i recommend 2GB and not 3GB.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Core 2 Duo Macbooks are listed as 2GB Ram maximum because that is what is recommended due to Core 2 Duos work best when they have equal amount of Ram in each slot, for instance, 2 1GB Ram sticks will work better then a 2GB Ram stick and a 1GB Ram stick.

And if this were true the MacBook Pros would have been listed as capable of 2GB also, not 3GB.

Have not heard of anyone trying to put 3GB in their MB.

If your MacBook could handle 3GB of RAM, the real world test as to whether it would be to your advantage or not, would be to check your memory usage during the most intensive tasks you are doing. If you are often using a full 2GB, then you may benefit from upgrading to 3GB. If it is rare that you have the full 2Gb in use with no free or inactive memory available - it is money for nought.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz, 2GB RAM
Will the Macbook support 3gb Ram = Yes
Shal you purchase 3gb Ram = No

You may notice a tiny bit of speed increase when using intense programmes like Final Cut, however, i recommend 2GB and not 3GB.
What will happen if I buy 2x 2gb RAM for my Macbook then?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" ibook g4, 1.42ghz. 512mb ram, 60gb hdd
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The MacBook only supports up to 2GB RAM.

http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html

The previous generation MacBook Pros supported 3GB.

The current MacBook Pro supports 4GB.

That's the OFFICIAL stance, but not exactly what's technically feasible.

The Macbooks are definitely capable of handling 3GB of RAM. However, if you stick in 4GB, you'll only be able to access 3.3GB of it (this is the same reason why the previous gen Macbook Pros were listed with a 3GB max, to prevent people from wasting money on 4GB).

Apple doesn't advertise this for obvious reasons. If you need that much memory, you're looking at the wrong laptop. If you need that much power, you should be looking at the Macbook Pro line. Most, if not all, of Macbook users have no need for anything more than 2GB of RAM.

Oh, and the whole dual channel thing is totally bunk. Running 3GB of RAM, if you have a legit need, far outweighs any "benefits" of a dual channel configuration.

pingpongitore, if you have an actual need for 3GB of RAM, then go for it as there's no technical reason that's stopping you. But if you have no practical use for it, save your money and stick with 2GB.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After more research, I stand corrected and defer to Kash's excellent response above.

OP
pingpongitore
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook C2D 2.0GHz 2GB RAM 250GB HDD
Thanks guys I was just wondering because I just recently switched to apple from being a long time Custom PC builder and I know in PC's the more ram you throw in it the better it gets. I don't run any huge compiling programs or rendering software, I was just looking for a way to give things a little juice in. I would have gotten a MBP as I am sure most of us would but I could only afford the MB as I am sure most of us could haha. Anyway, thanks a lot guys I appreciate your help in everything.

-ping

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz, 2GB RAM
Actually there are lots people who can afford a Macbook Pro but they just want a Macbook. Sorry, I just hate it when people discriminate the Macbooks and think they're somewhat inferior :'( poor precious things.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.