Nano / Mac / PC confusion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3 MacBook Air 1.7 i5 - also, Mac Mini and dead 12in iBook G4 (RIP)
HELP!

Trying to sort a syncing problem at arm's length (not literally, much further away...)

Bought my son a new Nano.

At home he has access to a PC with iTunes. On it is all his music.

At my house is my Mac. With all my music on it.

Having loaded some of the music I have put in from my CDs, can he now download them to his PC?

If so, how? His iTunes doesn't want to let him.

I sense frustrating copyright nonsense at work here. Would I be correct?

Any suggestions? He'd like to swap some songs off his iPod without deleting them to make room for more young-person's music... not just all my Old Fart tunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
The iPod can only work with one computer at a time. If you fill up the nano with music from your PC, when you hook it to the mac it will say something like this iPod is already associated with another computer do you want to associate it with this computer (something like that - been a while since I saw it) if you choose to associate or sync it with the new computer it will remove your music on the iPod and transfer the music from the new computer to the iPod.

You do however have options, I don't think there is a problem with me saying this in the forum, but you can go to google and do a search on something like:

getting music from ipod

You should find tools/apps that can take the music from an iPod and add that to the other computer - handy if you've lost your MacBook for example and need to get your library back on to your new MacBook...

You are right by the way - this is a copyright related matter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The iPod can only work with one computer at a time. If you fill up the nano with music from your PC, when you hook it to the mac it will say something like this iPod is already associated with another computer do you want to associate it with this computer (something like that - been a while since I saw it) if you choose to associate or sync it with the new computer it will remove your music on the iPod and transfer the music from the new computer to the iPod.

That is only the case if you use Autosyc. While my iPod(s) are in manual mode I will get the alert you state, but if I click no, I can still add or delete music from my iPod(s) on my iBook even though they are all associated with my G5.

As far as removing the songs, the OP is correct in their assumption about DRM/Copyright issues. This was done by Apple on purpose. However, if you put the iPod in manual mode and do as I described above the other person CAN get the iTunes downloaded songs off the iPod onto their computer. The catch is they have to log into YOUR iTunes account to do so. This will authorize their computer (you can authorize up to 5 at a time) to use your songs but will also give them full access to your account, including buying power on your Credit Card etc.

Once their machine is authorized there is a menu option to transfer iTMS song files to the computer from the iPod.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3 MacBook Air 1.7 i5 - also, Mac Mini and dead 12in iBook G4 (RIP)
thanks for the help, guys...

will try both avenues...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
That is only the case if you use Autosyc. While my iPod(s) are in manual mode I will get the alert you state, but if I click no, I can still add or delete music from my iPod(s) on my iBook even though they are all associated with my G5.

<snip>

Great Tip baggss, good to know - might try this one my self :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.