more iweb corrupt text!

Reaction score
Back again. My iWeb-designed site develops new issues every day-
Today's issue has to do with the nav bar on the left hand side of my BioandContact page:

http://www.claudiajulian.com/BioandContact.html

It loads in OK, but if you mouse over the Nav bar at left, the text disappears. I can see that the links are there, but in a blank text box. I have 3 browsers on my Mac-Safari, Firefox and Opera, and it looks equally funky on each.

I got iWeb as I know little about HTML code. If there are errors in the code, I don't know how to fix. I am willing to learn
Is anyone here an iWeb "expert"?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
You have some naming in the Javascript file that does not agree with your actual web site paths. There is a space at the end of the wording 'BioandContact'. I think this may all be occurring because the space is in your page title. It also affects the names of the Javascript and cascading stylesheets that get created. I'd try removing the space from the end of the title and have iWeb recreate the site.

What is occurring is the overlay for that menu can't be found because the code thinks a space should be in the folder name, but iWeb didn't do that, so the image can't be found.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks, but

Thanks, xstep BUT-

I thought I had gotten all the spaces after "BioandContact" but found a few more after reading your post. However, the site STILL has a disappearing Nav bar.

I cleaned up alot of stuff iWeb apparently adds upon publishing. (Does it matter that I used the FTP Fetch to upload to an ISP and did not publish to .Mac?)

What do you mean by "have iWeb recreate the site"?

Thanks for your time
WW

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I comfirm you did fix some things.

The problem looks to be in the Javascript file named BioandContact.js. There are entries for the folder named BioandContact_files but for some reason there is a space before the underscore.

What I meant by recreate was to use the "Publish to Folder..." under the File menu. Do that after you use Save. Looks like you did that, but for some reason it did not overwrite the Javascript file, or you missed something (see below).

I would delete that saved (published) copy and again "Publish to Folder...". Or just publish to a different folder. You should be able to test the result right on your computer before uploading to your site.

I would say it does not matter that you uploaded to your site or .Mac. I couldn't see anything that was .Mac specific.

In iWeb, each page is given a name. Click once (in iWeb) to highlight that page. Then go to the View menu item and select Show Inspector. In the inspector click on the second icon that is just to the right of globe. There you will see the page name. Click to the right of the name and hit the right arrow key a couple of times and the the delete key once. If you removed a space, that may be the culprit.

Now go to File-->Save and then File-->Publish to Folder...
Finally, if iWeb didn't open it in your browser, open it manually and test it out.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thank You!

THANK YOU XSTEP! That seem to do the trick! Looks like all is well on that page . Of course, I still had to pluck out a few of these from the HTML:

¬Ý

What is the technical term- "watchamacallits"?

I guess the next step is to migrate away from iWeb.

Again Grazi.

WW.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are welcome.

Yes, iWeb uses special characters where it should use proper web coding practices. The characters I've noticed the problem with is spaces and the single quote mark. I'm sure that there are more, but that is my limited experience. It does that mistake in both the html and Javascript it produces.

A few alternative tools to look at are Coda, RapidWeaver, Freeway, and Sandvox.
Lastly Nvu and Aptana are free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.