A few questions

Reaction score
I'm interested in buying a MacBook Pro because there isn't really a whole lot of other good high end laptops out there.

Is it a good time to buy one now?
Will there be a better/newer model released in the near future?
Will there be a 17" LED screen?
Should i get a 15.4" just because it has LED background lighting? Is it that good?
Any problems with the latest model that i should be aware of before purchasing?

Thanks for any feedback you can provide me with.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Apple is infamous for being extraordinarily tight-lipped about new product releases. So, what you see on their website is what you get. Anything you hear from anyone else is mere speculation and rumor. As far as problems, there are no inherent defects that wouldn't be covered by warranty.

Whether it's a good time to buy is purely subjective. It's anyone's guess when a new model will be released. If you need a new machine now, buy it now, otherwise wait until you do need one.

OP
K
Reaction score
i was thinking about buying one within the next 3-6 months, is it likely there will be an upgrade in that time period?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
i was thinking about buying one within the next 3-6 months, is it likely there will be an upgrade in that time period?

Well, Leopard is due out in October. So, if you can wait that long, you can buy one with the newest version of OS X pre-installed.

Again, no one but Apple knows if there will be a hardware update. I could venture a guess, but it would be completely baseless.

Reaction score
Well, Leopard is due out in October. So, if you can wait that long, you can buy one with the newest version of OS X pre-installed.
Let's say we bought now, rather than waiting for Leopard. Other than having to pay for the upgrade to Leopard, are there any other downsides? Is there anything else we'd be "missing" by not waiting for October?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz
Let's say we bought now, rather than waiting for Leopard. Other than having to pay for the upgrade to Leopard, are there any other downsides? Is there anything else we'd be "missing" by not waiting for October?

I have the same question, and I opened a thread about it just recently. I have to tell you that I went to the Apple Store and I asked them about it. The new 2.4Ghz MBP is a month old, and the time to release a new one it's usually about 6 months. It seems to me that the MBP that is available right now it's the best so far and the one with the latest components. I don't think there is going to be an issue of buying it now.

When it comes to the 17" one, in my opinion I wouldn't purchase one that big. If I need more space on the screen I just connect it to another monitor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte, Macbook Pro 2.2 gHz, 2 GB Ram, 120GB HDD
Buy now. The MBPs were recently updated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz 2 GB DDR2 Ram GeForce 8600M GT 128 MB 120 GB HDD
Buy now if you need it. The Macbook Pros were updated recently so if you are looking for a new laptop now, you won't worry about it being updated within the next month or two. Though as stated, with leopard it's possible a small hardware upgrade or something like usual.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.