Double ibook problem: Cant install OS X Tiger on iBook G3 Camshell!!

Reaction score
Well guys i have a ibook g3 clamshell with the firewire port and 128mb ram..
no dvd drive.. i jus bought a external dvd drive for $100 just to install os x tiger on the machine. i pug it in. press c. it boots to cd. then it tells me to select leng. then it prepares for installation... it stays like that for like 3 min. with the process bar moving.. then just stops and does nothing..
I cant continue..
I tried connecting it to my g4 powerbook and when i try to accsess the drive it freezes.... i cant format it.. cause it feezes... i cant repair or verify the disk cause it freezes....
so i log in to the ibook with the external dvd drie connected with the mac os x tiger dvd inside.. and it reads it..
when i click on the installer.. and tries to restart... guess what.:

IT FREEZEZ!!!!

what it going on!!!

please someone help me!
i seen people succesfully installed mac os x tiger on this ibooks!
what do i do!!?!

frustrated,

Mike.

M

MacHeadCase

First of all, 128 MB of RAM on a clamshell G3 iBook to run Tiger? Uh, no. Not enough RAM for one thing.

Second, are you using a full install retail version of Tiger or are you trying to use an install/restore disk from another Mac model?

OP
P
Reaction score
Well.. i least someone answered..
and i thank u for that..
Yes 128 mb is really way small, but i'm a buy a 512 dimm. I am trying to install it with the retail dvd version of tiger from an external dvd drive.

any advice?

mike.

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem

I also have 128MB... the tech specs on the Apple web site mention Tiger requires a minimum of 256MB (but you would think if that were it they would detect not enough RAM and bring up a message).

I have 512MB on order and will try that as well and post results... and will check this thread for more info (and hopefully an answer!).

M

MacHeadCase

Well.. i least someone answered..
and i thank u for that..
Yes 128 mb is really way small, but i'm a buy a 512 dimm. I am trying to install it with the retail dvd version of tiger from an external dvd drive.

any advice?

mike.

I hope you have the iBook 466 SE because...

Once you've installed the new RAM, make sure the external DVD is plugged in via the FireWire so you can boot from the DVD instead of the internal hard drive. I doubt you can boot from USB and this will prevent you from installing the OS if you cannot boot from the install disk.

If you have the original iBook G3 clamshell (which has no built-in FireWire port), you will have to return your DVD install disk to Apple and ask for a CD version instead so you can use the internal optical drive instead.

Reaction score
Just added 128MB (256MB total) and the problem was solved.

Oh, and I must correct myself. I have a iBook Dual USB G3 (the original white 500MHz model)... but still had the same problem as you with the hang up... Tiger does need 256MB to install apparently.

Regardless of the prior post about PB and iBooks not made anymore, Tiger will still run (and so will the next release, and probably on G3s as well)... don't know what point the post was attempting to make.

Good luck and happy MACing!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.